Multiple regulators?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High_Noonan

Reaction score
Hello, all.

I am in the planning stages for my first kegerator. I have ordered the parts from the liquid-side disconnects to the faucets for a dual-faucet setup to start with.
I currently have a dual-pressure gauge (two kegs, one tank) regulator, and while that will work in the short term, I am thinking that I might want to double that to the capacity of my fridge.

My question is, how difficult is it to put together a quad (or more) regulator system (not a manifold) so that I could be serving and carbing at the same time?

Thanks!

Its not that hard, You are just going to take the gauge from the hi side ( actual pressure in the keg) and add a connection to the next regulator. Why would you need more than 3? I am thinking, 1 for around 12psi, 1 for 8-10psi ( lower carb milds), and 1 for 30psi to carb.

Ah, but why WOULDN'T I want to do a quad?
Four on tap.
Three on tap, one carbing.
Two on tap, two carbing,
Etc.
Just seems to be the best of all combinations.

If you have the money to blow on the regs then I say go for it. I currently have 2 taps that I am upgrading to 4. I have a 2 regs, one at 12psi and one at 8psi, I keg carb so no need to force unless I want to.

it's not a question of how many on tap vs how many carbing

it's a question of how many different pressures you want to run.

the only advantage to a quad is if you want to have 4 different pressures, ie every keg at it's own carb level.

you can serve and carb at the same time with one reg. that's what i do. All 3 kegs are at the same pressure. some are carbing, some are serving.

I'm planning to do mine with 3 regulators. In total, I'll have 10 taps (+1 nitro). I'll do 5 on a single regulator (I don't force carb and most of my beers are American ales). Then split the other 5 on 2 regulators for lower and higher carb beers. And if I ever want to, I make use of one to force carb.

Be careful if you're trying to connect different brands of regulators. Some use right-hand threads on the high pressure side and some use left.

All great info, guys. Thanks. Hadn't really seen any discussions on the benefits of the various regulator/manifold setups. I appreciate the input. I am new to kegging and this whole CO2 thing is all fresh ground for me.

I have a dual body reg, (1 tank, 2 regulators). I have room for 6 kegs in my fridge. I serve all my beers at the same pressure, ~11 psi, so one reg goes to a home made mainfold (made from air compressor quick disconnects and a block, real cheap), that splits it into 3 lines. I decided I wanted a fourth line, so I T-ed off one of the lines coming from my manifold. The other reg goes to a T that splits it into 2.

I can have 4 beers serving, 2 carbing. Or 4 serving, 1 carbing, 1 soda. Or 2 serving, up to 4 carbing. Or 2 serving, 3 carbing, 1 soda. etc. It's not the ULTIMATE in flexibility, but it's pretty close.

You can install a bank of "Secondary Regulators"
You set your "Primary" regulator to something like 40 PSI, and feed that 40 PSI to the secondary regulators, which can each be at any pressure (Under 40 PSI) you choose...
$20 each...

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=92&products_id=1425

Here is mine (in blurry mode ;) ) this is set up like a bank of secondaries with the hose from the right side going to the primary:
IMG_3927.JPG

in reality they are all rated as primary regulators, I just set them up this way.

Back