20 Gallon Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carp

Reaction score
Did two 10 gal batches back to back, working by myself. Total time was a little over 8 hours. The last hour was in a moderate rain - I had an umbrella over my stand, but I got pretty soaked.
Both were IPAs, around 1.060 OG, and 70 IBUs. The first was cascade / centennial with magnum for bittering, and the second was all centennial, very similar to a Two-hearted clone, but using Maris Otter instead of pale malt.
I had weighed out salts and ground grain for the first batch yesterday, so was able to hit the ground running this morning. I did have to make a trip to get propane. I've been doing no-chill all winter, but chilled both of these batches.
I feel like I've made up for my big FAIL last week when my rig broke and I spilled 10 gallons of wort in the driveway :(.

Did two 10 gal batches back to back, working by myself. Total time was a little over 8 hours. The last hour was in a moderate rain - I had an umbrella over my stand, but I got pretty soaked.
Both were IPAs, around 1.060 OG, and 70 IBUs. The first was cascade / centennial with magnum for bittering, and the second was all centennial, very similar to a Two-hearted clone, but using Maris Otter instead of pale malt.
I had weighed out salts and ground grain for the first batch yesterday, so was able to hit the ground running this morning. I did have to make a trip to get propane. I've been doing no-chill all winter, but chilled both of these batches.
I feel like I've made up for my big FAIL last week when my rig broke and I spilled 10 gallons of wort in the driveway :(.

I've been waiting for a dropped carboy or a fallen over boil pot...but still have hope that it'll never happen. I can't imagine the feeling of watching it hit the ground.

Somewhere last summer I started w/ the 20 gallon days doing 4 five gallon extract kits per brewday. it certainly makes for a long day full of multitasking and I'm usually pretty wiped out after - but I do like only having to set-up and tear-down once. I've said repeatedly that once I make the switch to all-grain, I'm going to start doing 2 10-gallon batches per brew-day.

Yep. . .this is absolutely the way to go. . .my last 2 brew days were 2 10 gallon batches and I have another one coming up on Friday. It is very satisfying to have 20 gallons at the end of a brew day and to only have to setup and tear down once. Granted the day is a bit longer and the multitasking leaves very little down time, but what a great feeling waking up to the sound of 4 :)rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:)active fermenters the next day!!!

Back