Road Trip! NJ to Florida!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janzik

Reaction score
Ok, so, Thursday night or Friday morning, I'm packing up the family and we're headed down to Disney. The wife and I did not want to make the drive without having somewhere to stop along the way (we both want to stop at some breweries). Off the top of my head, I know I want to hit Dogfish in Delaware. Can anyone recommend anywhere to stop on the trip?

This is the rough estimate of what the trip will be like...

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Old+Bridge,+NJ&daddr=Orlando,+FL&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.764446,75.761719&ie=UTF8&z=6"]Google Maps[/ame]

I don't want to deviate too much. We have 2 young kids (a 3yr old and an 8 month old). So as much as I would love to visit Ed@Brewmaster's Warehouse, It's just out of the way.

(edit: I should clarify... When I say that I don't want to deviate too much, it's more of deviate from the time estimate to get down there or back. Looking at the Google map, I'll have to alter the route to hit DFH. So keeping the trip in it's general time frame and sorta route will be good).

Wow, and I thought my 10 hour trip from Huntsville, was a long drive!!! You are a brave person to take that long a trip with kids....

let me guess, Video players in the back seat? That works wonders........

And have fun at Disney!

I am no help on breweries along the way..... sorry.....

Made the NJ to FL trip many times with the kids. We always did a straight through drive going down and a leisurely three or four day cruise home. The logic being that we could rest when we got there, but didn’t want to come home (back to work) too stressed out. This was pre- homebrew, so no brewery visits. The kid’s favorite stop was Stone Mountain in Georgia. We ended up going to K-Mart to buying a cheap tent and camped for two nights in the park. The adult favorite was the year we shot across the panhandle to New Orleans. Way off course, but lots of fun!

Enjoy. :cool:

My best time was 10 hours and 20mins from Daytona to Marlton. Stopped for gas like 10 times, LOL. Rode the bike up autotrained back down. Also have done the trip with an over loaded van wich took 21 hours :( .

South of the border is interesting as long as the sun is still up. Not sure if its a kids place or not though...?

Your end point on that map is not far at all from Orlando Brewing. I live here and I've never been so I can't say what it's like. Heck, I don't even go to the attractions but I hear that Seaworld is good.

From the route you have on Google Maps expect to drive an hour and a half or so from the Rt 1 exit off of 95 down to DFH. From DFH I would suggest taking 404/50 West and go over the Bay Bridge and pass Annapolis on your way back to 95 around DC.

From the route you have on Google Maps expect to drive an hour and a half or so from the Rt 1 exit off of 95 down to DFH. From DFH I would suggest taking 404/50 West and go over the Bay Bridge and pass Annapolis on your way back to 95 around DC.

You can also take the bay bridge tunnel across to Va beach area and avoid Baltimore, DC and Richmond all together. :ban:

i've always wanted to try the cape may ferry and down thru VA beach. But it adds like four hours

I'd go to sweetwater in atlanta if it's not to far off your route. double check the tour days, I think I went on a fri night. you could take the kids to the aquarium while you were in atl. drive back up I 75 and it may work, but on the way down savannah has a nice brewpub called moonriver.

Nothing happening in North and South Carolina off of 95 unless you want to head about 35 minutes west where 95 meets 40 in Benson, NC. If you decide to head into Raleigh, you could hit Big Boss, which is decent, Boylan Bridge Brewpub, which is just a really nice place, Aviator in Fuquay Varina who is brewing some very tasty beers, or hit up a local pub that has Foothills on tap which is one of my favorite breweries out right now. Holler if you want any in depth info on any of these options.

And please do not listen to previous poster and go to south of the border, if possible blind fold yourself and push through none the wiser. It is a truly horrifying place devoid of enjoyment and yet world reknowned for food poisoning!

We did a run from Ontario to Florida in 22 hours, the wife and I traded off the driving. We did the bulk of the driving at night and the kids were fantastic.

Today looks like a rain day, so I think Epcot is out. I'll see if I can convince the wife to head to Orlando Brewery...

Back