It happened again!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
So, 4 years or so ago I went to drop off some commercials I made for a local animal rescue agency. When I was there the director offered to give me a tour. On the tour there was this dog that just... crawled into my head and wouldn't leave. It just needed me. I brought my wife, who was against getting a dog, to see him. She had to have him. So we have a dog.

A year later, I find out that a guy that I worked with at a radio station dumped his family's pet bunny in the field where the towers are before he moved to Arizona. I went out to see and the bunny ran over to me, stood on it's hind legs and begged me to pick her up. So, we have a pet rabbit.

A friend had an orphaned baby mouse a while back

Then there was a hamster the vet called about that needed a home.

*sigh*

Last night, I was sitting in the studio at the radio station. Minding my own business. Just doing my shift. I look up and there's a stray cat sitting on the air conditioner, paws on the window, meowing at me. And giving me those eyes.

Like this:
Cat.jpg

She was still there this morning when I went in.

Waiting for me.

Like she KNOWS...

She's in my bathroom. Gonna see if she's microchipped tomorrow. No lost cats in the paper that match her.

I think I have a friggin' cat now.

Got a little box set up. She's already little box trained. She's also been recently fixed. Like, in the last week. Makes it more likely someone will be looking for her and I might not have a cat... yet. We're not going to consider her "ours" and name her for at least a week.

You're a good person to help these animals, but I'd draw the line at rodentia/vermin, except for the bunny. Regards, GF.

My family lives in a pretty nice neighborhood. But 2 houses down from us, a legally insane schizophrenic used to live with his dad. He died a few months ago and his family sold the house. I think he lived only with his dad for a while, and it was pretty bad. Like 10+ years ago the guy got into a car chase with the police. He ended up crashing into another car, causing burns on over half of the woman's body who was driving the other car. When the cops following him approached his car he waved a bible at them (WTF???). Anyway, after a few years (6-9+?) of being in some sort of institution, he was released after I think his mother wrote a letter to the governor or something. The story of the car accident was first told to me by my other neighbor and was confirmed by an old news article I found online.

His mother must have died because I only remember him living with his dad. He had medications, but I don't think he dad really forced him to take them. His would do things like water his yard with gasoline, shout at random people on the street (often kids walking home from the elementary school/park on the corner), have loud, obscene conversations with imaginary people in his backyard, shoot off fireworks, etc. He was once caught with a knife in his pocket at this park, but the charges were dropped. He thought Madonna was his sister, he thought they shot Hollywood movies 2 houses down from him(4 houses down from me). He once called the cops and said that the neighbor next to him ( 3 doors down from me) was burying bones in his backyard... The guy was really insane. Like, really insane. I could go on and on about the insanity of this guy (you ever have your neighbor knock and your door and ask if the woman who died in your house 20 years ago talks to you regularly??).

So anyway, my family adopted a stray cat shortly after moving to this house, which lived in our old neighborhood. We really bonded with his cat, especially me. At first I couldn't even get near this car, but eventually every night when I went to bed this cat would lie on my back or stomach and would always beg for attention. Then I went off to college, and my family reported to me that the cat was going missing for weeks at a time but would sometimes show up at the house. It was my first time away from home for a significant amount of time, so I wasn't too interested in what this cat was doing(obv.).

But then once, when the cat had shown back up in our backyard after being missing for 2 weeks, the crazy guy comes to my front door and rambles about a cat or something. Only my older brother was home, with my grandma who could barely walk, so he just told the guy to chill out while he checked out the backyard. Then the crazy guy opens the gate on the side of the house, comes into the backyard, grabs the cat and storms off. My brother, thinking that it would not be a good idea to physically stop the guy, basically lets him go and calls the police and tells them what happened in a panicked voice. About 45 minutes later a cop shows up but does absolutely nothing except basically act like a huge d1ck. We get another cop over a few days later, but unfortunately he can't, or is unwilling, to actually do anything that made any sort of difference. The police department did offer an official apology to my brother for the first cop but nothing ever happens except for the cops knocking on the crazy guy's door multiple times and just asking if a cat was there. They lied of course. This guy's dad was not insane, but was just as bad as the crazy guy.

So about 10 months later, I am home for summer and we finally get the cat back. It seems OK, but it has brown stains all over the back/bottom of it like it had been living in a small cage with its own **** for a long time. After a couple days of it being back, my family goes on vacation and we hire someone to take care of the cat. But 2/3 through our vacation, the cat's heart fails and it dies on my bed. Most likely because of the terrible treatment it received from the crazy guy.

Eventually this guy's brother moves in, and I think the crazy guy began to regularly take his medication, resulting in much less mayhem. I hated the crazy guy, but I really did feel bad for him. Personal experiences have taught me that being 'sane' is a very delicate thing, and it only takes a very small change in brain chemistry to completely alter your perception of reality. It is extremely sad that this man had to go through what he did for basically his whole life, although I am fairly sure he knew what he was doing some percentage of the time and he knew that it was wrong. His behavior often changed when in the presence of police, which was often (sometimes with guns drawn on his house).

But then a cat shows up in our backyard with a litter of maybe 7 kittens! We ended up raising the kittens, because what else are you supposed to do, especially with a crazy guy 2 doors down?? We kept the momma cat and 2 of the kittens. We also ended up with a rabbit that lived in our neighborhood! Only the rabbit and one of the kittens are left now, the other 2 cats have been killed by coyotes. These animals just seem so.. helpless, it is hard to turn them down!!

My business partner is like that. She's down to one gerbil, one dog and one cat; but that won't last long.

Just make sure that the kitty stays away from the baby mouse. What is a pet to you is meat to her...and a possible "tribute" to her new daddy. :D

The mice are gone now. Mice only have a lifespan of a couple years.

You're a good person to help these animals, but I'd draw the line at rodentia/vermin, except for the bunny. Regards, GF.

We all like rodentia. We raised rats for years. They're very clean, affectionate pets.

Man, I bet you're an easy mark when walking past people begging for change.

Actually, with people it's different. Except for kids. Little kids can get me to do whatever they want too.

WildWest has it exactly right. I'm the biggest sucker in the world and they all know it. They see me coming a mile away.

I adopted a stray kitten because it was hanging around our porch and climbed up on my shoulder. Figuring that would be as close as I would get to ever owning a parrot, she was invited inside.

About five and a half years ago, I was in the market for a new house. Having found one, and with closing day quickly approaching, I decided that at some point in the future, I would like to have a dog for the kids. It would be nice having that kind of family life and whatnot. So after we moved into the house, we decided to take a trip to the humane society. Pretty much just to take a look around and see what's available, and to find out the process and cost. Stuff like that. So we visited with a few different dogs. Some were super affectionate, a couple were fairly skittish. But there was this one.... Just a pup. Her litter was just old enough that day to be released to their families. So cute and tiny, super affectionate, energetic and playful. And her most defining feature was her ears. As a shepherd mix, she had monstrous ears that just stood up. I had to remind the kids (and myself... mostly myself) that we were there just to look around. It was time to go so we said goodbye to this cute little pup. As we were passing by the desk I asked about some information to look over. In passing I overheard one of them mention the birthday of the litter. It just happened to be the same day as my 5 year old son's birthday. At that point, I lost all reserve and decided to get her. Ever since then she has been a great companion to my children and I couldn't imagine having a more loving pet than her. Never looked back. If I had pics of her at work I'd post one.

My house in Kansas had a microscopic yard, and now I'm renting, so the decision has been made for me. This thread has me wanting a dog again though!

My dog comes from a shelter. He was a planned adoption. As for my cats; the oldest was adopted from a college party house, one was taken in during a blizzard when he cried at my wife that he was dying from the cold and one was adopted in the middle of traffic on a 6 lane highway during a torrential rainstorm. She looked like a small wet mouse she was so tiny. This is her when we got her home and washed and blewdry her:

Squinty.jpg

(Tell me you wouldn't have adopted this little one.)

EDIT: Like you Cheshire, we also wondered whether we would be to keep her because she had ticks on her and we just didn't know how healthy she could possibly be. We really anticipated the vet telling us that the humane thing would be to put her down.

Got a little box set up. She's already little box trained. She's also been recently fixed. Like, in the last week. Makes it more likely someone will be looking for her and I might not have a cat... yet. We're not going to consider her "ours" and name her for at least a week.

I know a lot of people that will capture feral cats and get them spayed or neutered. They usually take a little triangle out of one of the ears to mark them. If there's a wee chunk of ear missing, then you may have recaptured a feral cat, and not snagged somebody's pet. Feral cats aren't always bad, and I doubt you'll have any of the feral cat woes if it came to you willingly...

I know a lot of people that will capture feral cats and get them spayed or neutered. They usually take a little triangle out of one of the ears to mark them. If there's a wee chunk of ear missing, then you may have recaptured a feral cat, and not snagged somebody's pet. Feral cats aren't always bad, and I doubt you'll have any of the feral cat woes if it came to you willingly...

Oh, I've tamed feral cats before. People call me the cat whisperer. :D This one was definitely a pet. No nick in the ear and she's been well taken care of.

Got 5 cats. 1 stray who gave birth on our bed, on the floor and in the closet. Gee. She's put on some weight. Must be all the food. Yeah. No.

The last 1 came from work. I said no way I don't need another damn cat. She figured I was wrong.

Oh, I've tamed feral cats before. People call me the cat whisperer. :D

That makes two of us. Our last cat came from a large bunch discovered when a bank went to check out the house they'd just foreclosed and the people had moved out. The cat we took did not like us! We keep him in our guest room and when we'd enter he'd go hide under the futon. But if you would lie on the floor and put your hand under he would let you give him a few rubs on the head. Gradually over two months, slowly but surely, he wouldn't hide as far back and would let you pet his body (still lying on the ground and reaching under). Then eventually if you'd sit on the futon he'd poke his head out and let you pet it. Finally he'd come totally out from underneath and let you pet him. Then we introducted him to the other cats.............

Now he's an extremely loving cat. He's always looking for some petting.

Of our 6 dogs, 3 are rescues. One is a Pit/Boxer from a shelter, 1 a stray that was very fortunate that I decided to take a piss at 5AM, 1 a high content Wolf Hybrid that ate his crap and bit his breeder.

All have turned out great, the stray and shelter dogs are our "watch dogs", and they do an awesome job. The Wolf Hybrid is not even comaprable to his former self. Affectionate, respectful (no biting), and does not eat sh*t.

Moral to the story, what you put in (for effort) is what you get back....

Dogs (and any other critter for that matter) just want a decent, comfortable and respected place to exist in.

I almost took in a couple random cats. The first was a small gray tabby. I was leaving my house and when I opened the door, there was a cat sitting there directly in front of the door staring at me. He then tried to walk inside. I shooed him out because I've had a stray cat sneak into my house before and it was just a pain. So I went to walk down the street and the cat followed me. I stopped for a minute and he came and rubbed up against my leg. I kept walking and he kept following me and rubbing up against my leg every time I stopped. I got very close to just giving in, but the heartless bastard in me kept screaming "remember the other stray cat that snuck into your house? You don't want to deal with that". Eventually after a couple blocks, the cat walked off in a different direction.

The other was a tiny orange tabby kitten that was crawling around my friend's back yard. He came to play with us as we sat outside chatting. I really wanted to take him home. But we figured out he belonged to a neighbor. I'm still sad I couldn't have him.

It's reading threads like these that help my faith in humanity return...

'sides which, you gotta have a brew buddy! (or 4)

Back