all malt extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflinn68

Reaction score
I got a really good deal from coopers on the IPA and Irish Stout ($12.99) and the Light Malt Extract ($7.99).

I was wondering if anybody has tried the ipa or stout with just the LME. If so, please give reply on how it turned out. I do have a little dry malt extract (500g) and a kg of dextrose but was wondering how this would turn out.

It would work out ok. You are planning on using hops, correct? Also look into 1-1.5 lbs of steeping grains and you can make a very good beer with extract

I've yet to try Coopers, but I've begun diddling around with another LME kit.

I've got one 5 gallon batch going right now, but it'll be another month before I'll be able to give a report on anything.

I'm using one 2.2 pound (1 Kilo) can of Light Premier Malt Extract (hopped LME), no sugar, and two pounds of Muntons Extra Light DME, plus the Lager yeast that came with the kit (I KNOW...!?!).

Next week I'm intending to start another 5 gallon batch using ONLY water, two cans of the Premier LME, and yeast!

If anyone has done this, or any other kind of variations, before...I'd be interested to hear how things turned out.

Pogo

I wasnt going to use any extra hops, just the 3.75 lb can (hopped) of Irish Stout or IPA with the 3.3 lb can of the Light UME. Will this make a decent brew?

We made canned stouts a couple of times that turned out pretty good. I was disappointed using dextrose with the cans but using malt (liquid or dry) works well. The canned kits, IMO, are not the best but they make ok beer and it's a good way to get started. What is your level of brewing experience?

Make your kits and have fun! Welcome to HBT!

We made canned stouts a couple of times that turned out pretty good. I was disappointed using dextrose with the cans but using malt (liquid or dry) works well. The canned kits, IMO, are not the best but they make ok beer and it's a good way to get started. What is your level of brewing experience?

Make your kits and have fun! Welcome to HBT!

I've just started brewing beer a few months ago with the mr beer system and now I'm starting to experiment with the coopers. I like it so well I've already stepped up and bought a twin faucet kegerator system. Thanks for the welcome. :mug:

I have brewed two batches that are just the canned extract (munton's Imperial Stout) and they have turned out pretty good. Not that I am a drunk but the ABV was a little low. It was recommended by the LHBS that I use malt instead of Dextrose but I didn't.

They totally need some time. Drinking a new one is no good but one that's a few months old .... :)

As long as both cans are fresh, you will make perfectly fine beer.

Canned kits are kind of like frozen pizza. They're not top of the line, but sometimes they really can hit the spot and they're pretty easy to make.

As long as both cans are fresh, you will make perfectly fine beer.

Canned kits are kind of like frozen pizza. They're not top of the line, but sometimes they really can hit the spot and they're pretty easy to make.

They still seem to be as good as most of the microbrew stuff at the bev center, except the really good stuff. JMHO of course.

Yep, I have no qualms with a good canned kit. It's quick and easy and still better than most of the junk out there.

It makes brewing still possible when you have toddlers roaming around.

so send off to Midwest or AHBS and get a kit with steeping grains and liquid

yeast do a full 5 gal boil man what good beer

YMMV

:mug:

so send off to Midwest or AHBS and get a kit with steeping grains and liquid

yeast do a full 5 gal boil man what good beer

YMMV

:mug:

Any recommendations that combine ease with good results??

I see so many different recipes and so many different types there that I am a bit overwhelmed.

I would recommend a pre-built kit from midwest, northernbrewer or austin.
This will help you to see what comprises the different styles. Or, just look up the ingredient list (I know Northernbrewer lists what you get) and start from that.

I think that "brown ales" and "bitters" are probably the easiest to make, because their flavors help hide any imperfections. They are usually not too hoppy and make good drinkin beers. Look into them.

Seriously though, 6 lbs of extract, 2oz of hops and a packet of dry yeast will make better beer than most of what you'll find at the grocery store.

I know Midwest's kits are very good, and I am sure Austin and NortherBrewer are great, too.

As for ease, while I know everybody recommends a full 5 gallon boil, that isn't always easy to do. I like to steep the grains in 2 to 3 gallons of water as it's heatng up, then add the hops, let it boil as directed, then add the malt syrup at the end.

Hi, I just made 2 coopers kits ,draught,> The first i used coopers draught and 3.3lb. muttons lme light,all extract.The second one i used coopers draught, 1 kg. of coopers dextrose and 1 lb.amber dme,They both came out good, like harpoon ale.I left them in the ferm bucket for 3 weeks, nice and clear.I added the extract to warm water 4 qt., and brought the temp to 160f for 3min. placed pot in sink and cooled it to 80f, added the wort to 3 gal of 79f water.topped up with water to 6 gal mark and placed yeast on top,closed lid,had fast ferments,lots of krausen.After i bottled the 2nd batch of draught ,i made an coopers irish stought+ 1lb.mutons light dme and 500 g of dextrose,that was on 1/28..........

Back