Auto Insurance: Full Tort vs. Limited

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have full tort on your auto insurance policy?

• Yes, and I strongly recommend it for all.

• No, and I recommend you don't either

• Yes, but I am not sure why I have it

• No, I don't have it, and I am not sure I don't

• Too much homebrew has caused me to loose my license

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
It is time to re-up my insurance. We have never had full tort, but the agent is pushing strong for us to get it. How many of you all carry full tort, and is there a strong reason to do so?

Is that the same as Comprehensive+Collision?

If so, I carry it by requirement (loan) on my Mountaineer. My Sentra still just has liability coverage.

It took about 1/2 off the repair cost of the pole I slid into on ice. The impact cracked my bumper, and took out my transmission cooler. Repair would've been about $1000, but my deduct is $500.

That said, as soon as the loan is paid, off it comes. That's why I've got 2 cars though. If one dies, I can drive the other. I don't like delays in the morning. I like to be able to say "F it!", grab the other set of keys, and be on my way with less than 2 minutes down time.

Is that the same as Comprehensive+Collision?

If so, I carry it by requirement (loan) on my Mountaineer. My Sentra still just has liability coverage.

No it is different. It has to do with your limits to recover in the event of personal injury in an accident. I just realized, the laws for this may vary by state, making my question very stupid.

I recommend getting full tort. I think it normally costs about $100 more a year. But buy opting for limited tort you are forfeiting your right to sue in the event of an accident.

OK, wow, that is very different than here. I would think the right to sue is worth a little extra.

Ok, I have been looking over old threads and noticed this one. For the most part getting full tort is a waste of money. It does not completly take away your right to sue it just limits it. It makes it so you can only sue for something that has a verifiable monitary value. It was meant to stop all of the stupid law suits that go on in this country everyday. No, you can't sue someone for 10 million dollars and they hit you and you spilled your soda on your self. But you can sue someone for medical bills and missed work and whatnot. As F-ed up as is sounds the state as actually put a monatary value on loss of different limbs and life so you can sue for those as well. Oh, and if an out of state driver or drunk driver hits you then you can sue for anything.

Just thought I should clarify this for everyone.

Back