Extract Timing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeBAD

Reaction score
I'm confused. The directions in my extract brews always call for adding 100% of the extract just before the boil. However I've been noticing many threads suggesting to stagger out the extract additions throughout the boil (ie half pre-boil and half with 30 minutes left).

What is the reason for that? Does that raise/lower OG or something?

Thanks!

It's called late extract addition. I used 2lbs extract in 2.5-3.5 gallons of water in my 5 gallon kettle for hop additions. Remaining extract at flame out since it's still boiling hot & pasreurization happens at 160F. Lighter color & no extract twang.

What the above posts have said is true and I agree, however it depends how much trouble or care you want to put into the batch. When I'm doing extract vs. all-grain, I don't tend to think it makes as huge of a difference in the finished beer as other, more important factors in the brewing process, so I just add all the extract in pre-boil. Nothing wrong with it really, but again it's all about how particular you like to be.

And If you're REALLY particular, you'll end up going all-grain. :D

Adding part at the beginning and part near the end is completely optional and is done for cosmetic reasons only. As the extract boils it will get slightly darker due to Maillard reactions. Do which ever method you want both are valid and will give you beer in the end.

It's not just done for cosmetic reasons. If you're doing a partial boil, adding all of the extract at the start will result in the boil having a much higher SG than if doing a full boil, which leads to significantly lower hop utilization. Might not be crucial for many beers, but can make a huge difference in hop forward styles. By leaving some of the extract out until the last 10-15 min of the boil, the SG and hop utilization can be kept comparable to that of someone brewing the same recipe with a full boil. Even people doing a full boil sometimes do late extract additions for hop utilization purposes.

I'm planning on a full 3-gallon boil for a 5-gal batch. So if I'm understanding everyone correctly it won't have any effect. Only in color? Or does it have any SG effect?

I'm planning on a full 3-gallon boil for a 5-gal batch. So if I'm understanding everyone correctly it won't have any effect. Only in color? Or does it have any SG effect?

Adding all of the extract at the start will result in lower hop utilization. Adding some of it late will result in higher hop utilization.

It has a huge effect on the SG of the boil, but none whatsoever on the SG of the finished product.

So it sounds like especially if I'm brewing an IPA I should stagger it right? Would you go half at the beginning of the boil and half with 30 min or so left for the IPA or something different than that even?

No. Half @ 30 minutes would still give plenty of time for mailard reactions. @-3lbs in the boil of 3-3.5 gallons for hop additions will give better utilization. Since the wort is still boiling hot at flame out,& pasteurization happens @ 160F in seconds,adding extract at flame out will work fine. Iow,pasteurization happens well BELOW the boiling point. You don't need to boil the holy hell out of everything to pasteurize it.

So it sounds like especially if I'm brewing an IPA I should stagger it right? Would you go half at the beginning of the boil and half with 30 min or so left for the IPA or something different than that even?

Depends on the recipe. If the recipe was formulated for partial boil, then stick to the recipe. If it was formulated for a full boil, I'd add half the extract at the start of the boil, and the rest of it at flame out.

it took me a while to figure out a good balance, mostly by trial and error

i put about 1/3 at start of boil, and then at 30 and/or 15 minutes, depending how i feel on any given day.

needs at least 15 minutes for a proper boil, and the additional time adds color.

I'm starting to move into Partial Mash brewing, so I'm figuring this will be a similar protocol there, also

Extract doesn't need a "proper boil" as I've said many times before. Pasteurization occurs in seconds at 160F,not 212F. Flame out extract aditions are fine,but do them quickly.. Then cover & steep a few minutes while you get the ice bath,whatever set up. Works very well for me.

It doesn't affect the SG at all. The amount of sugar remains the same.

The great thing about adding the extract late is that it reduces maillard reactions (similar to caramelization). That means not just a lighter color, but instead also a less "cooked extract" taste in the final beer. That's one thing that I didn't like about extract beers where the extract is boiled the entire time. There is a certain extract-y flavor that I can pick out and it isn't as good as when the bulk of the extract is added at flame out or near the end of the boil.

Boiling 10 pounds of extract in a 3 gallon boil makes a very thick syrupy wort that darkens and has an extract twang flavor to it. By using about a pound of extract per gallon of liquid boiled in the boil, that is minimized and the extract batch more closely resembles an all-grain batch.

It's easy, and convenient, and you can actually boil more volume as extract takes up a lot of room in the pot. The flavor of a beer made with late additions of the extract is far preferable to me than the "older" traditional way.

Wow awesome advice all you guys. Thanks a ton. Really helps a lot!

Latest posts

Back