120 min clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrew2u

Reaction score
Here's my recipe
17 lbs 2 row
1.25 Thomas faucet amber
Mash 150 for 90 min
2 oz nugget
4oz simcoe
5 0z Amarillo
Add all together add continually during boil
Yeast starter of 1084
Going to add wlp099 after primary fermentation
11 lbs if corn sugar divided into 4.5 oz bags
Added 2 x a day for 2 weeks
Don't know how much to dry hop with yet
Going to brew this tomorrow wish me luck

Gcvhcbv

Let us know how it turns out I just did a 90 minute a couple of days ago.

Ok brewed it up on sat first got a stuck sparge ,then can't use wort chiller because hose is frozen had to cool over night
Drained out yesterday and pitched yeast
Og 1.084

Airlock bubbling away like crazy will check of tomorrow to see what we're at. Will start starter of wlp099 tomorrow planing on pitching this weekend may start dextrose additions sat depending on OG

Checked Og today already down to 1.022 added first dextrose addition today and aerated for a couple min started starter of wlp099 this morning hope to pitch this weekend

I actually just finished brewing the bertus brewery clone of this. i did a 4L starter each of 007 & 099 on my stir plate using 1 vial of each. this was for a 2.75 G batch. I used 5 lbs of corn sugar. got 4.63 lbs in. OG 1.172 after the sugar, SG is 1.028 right now. I was adding 6oz twice a day and decanted and pitched the 099 starter at addition #4. at that point i bumped up the sugar additions to 12oz cuz it was flying through the 6oz. just make sure to be checking you gravity readings before each addition to make sure the yeast are eating through the sugar. Use the bertus link above for reference and here is his post on HBT

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dfh-120-minute-clone-259314/index12.html

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/03/dogfish-head-120-minute-ipa-clone.html

Just took gravity reading and it was 1.022 after 4 sugar additions,aerated this morning after adding wlp099 starter then added a double sugar addition depending on gravity going to add double sugar additions until the yeast starts slowing down but I don't anticipate that happening any time soon

Keep updating. I am very curious as to how this turns out. I recently had this beer and I have been wondering how a home brewer could get such high alcohol.

Checked Og 1.020 been adding double dextrose additions since sat. Wow those yeasts are eating up the dextrose
Original Og with sugar additions 1.112 let's see how far we can take it

Checked Og this morning at 1.018 added another double dextrose addition and aerated
Original starting gravity 1.129 that = 14.47 percent alcohol damn those yeasts are hungry

Thanks for keeping us updated. I hate those thread where the OP says updates to come and then the thread dies.

I am extremely interested to know how this comes out.

On a side note, does aerating with each dextrose addition increase the risk for oxidation of your beer? If not, why?

ApothecaryBrewing said:
Thanks for keeping us updated. I hate those thread where the OP says updates to come and then the thread dies.

I am extremely interested to know how this comes out.

On a side note, does aerating with each dextrose addition increase the risk for oxidation of your beer? If not, why?

No, the yeast will use up any oxy added during the sugar additions. Once you finish the sugar additions you want to be careful about oxidation.

derbycitybrewer said:
Very interested in this and how u get the og points.

You get the OG points with each sugar addition. When I brewed with each sugar addition I added into beer smith the amount I added each time to see what the OG was brought up to.

mattyb85 said:
You get the OG points with each sugar addition. When I brewed with each sugar addition I added into beer smith the amount I added each time to see what the OG was brought up to.

Thx. Simple enough lol. Beersmith solves all lol. Thx.

mattyb85 said:
Yes it does. I ended up with 1.172 as a final OG. Dropped down to 1.021, 20.7% :)

So how does the sample taste? I assume aging for a few months?

fumanbrew said:
Do you take into account the water it takes to boil the sugar?

You aren't boiling any water when adding the sugar. I kept a bucket of starsan next to my fermenter with a theif. Hydrometer, spoon & glass mug in it. I scooped out some of the beer with the mug. Added the sugar, stirred it in and added it back to the beer

image-4163422499.jpg

That's the mug with the corn sugar in it.

Well came home yesterday and gravity was 1.008
And the krazen had fallen so I added a pound of corn sugar got it back up to 1.022 woke up this morning and it was 1.018 so added 4.5 oz
I took another reading tonite and its at 1.022 the yeast may have crapped out , I'll check tomorrow and see if it changes or not
Starting Og 1.156 that's 18.05 percent alcohol id be happy if it stays there would like to crack the 20 percent barrier though

abrew2u said:
Well came home yesterday and gravity was 1.008
And the krazen had fallen so I added a pound of corn sugar got it back up to 1.022 woke up this morning and it was 1.018 so added 4.5 oz
I took another reading tonite and its at 1.022 the yeast may have crapped out , I'll check tomorrow and see if it changes or not
Starting Og 1.156 that's 18.05 percent alcohol id be happy if it stays there would like to crack the 20 percent barrier though

How much dis this brew rub you just in corn sugar?

SoSublime said:
This is great. I hope this turns out fantastic! Are you planning on kegging or bottling this?

If you want it carbonated you have to keg it. It has to sit in carboy till the heat from the booze dissipates. At least a month if not 2, then you can start dry hopping. At that point the yeast are so exhausted or dead they won't be able to come back to carb. Adding new yeast wouldn't work either because the high ABV will shock and kill them

mattyb85 said:
If you want it carbonated you have to keg it. It has to sit in carboy till the heat from the booze dissipates. At least a month if not 2, then you can start dry hopping. At that point the yeast are so exhausted or dead they won't be able to come back to carb. Adding new yeast wouldn't work either because the high ABV will shock and kill them

Good point. Never thought of that. Guess I will be waiting till this summer to do this lol.

You could also look into adding a touch of US-05 or somethings clean when you go to bottle. Lots of commercial breweries add yeast at bottling. I think some of them refer to it as refermenting.

Either way I am excited to see how this turns out even if it has to sit in a carboy for months to condition.

You could also look into adding a touch of US-05 or somethings clean when you go to bottle. Lots of commercial breweries add yeast at bottling. I think some of them refer to it as refermenting.

Either way I am excited to see how this turns out even if it has to sit in a carboy for months to condition.

Don't think it would survive at that abv.

ApothecaryBrewing said:
true fact.

True fact that us-05 will survive at 20% abv and won't get shocked and killed? I could be wrong but I'm almost sure us-05 will not tolerate that abv level

Back