Just bought some oak barrels. Need a little info.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiend

Reaction score
I've never worked with oak barrel aging before and can't really find much information about it on the web.

I have bought a few for different brews I am making. Beer / Ciders/ Wines ect.

Firstly, when I get my barrels, should I cure them, and keep them cured till the time I rack my brews into them, Or cure them JUST 24 hours before hand?

2nd, If I am to carbonate my brews (Not keg carb) Would that be something to be done after or before barrel aging? Mainly would carbonation be bad for the wood or affect it in anyway?

Lastly, if anyone has any kind of knowledge like barrels 101. It would be deeply appreciated. I don't have very much knowledge of barrels at all.

-Cheers and thank you.

Fiend said:
I've never worked with oak barrel aging before and can't really find much information about it on the web.

I have bought a few for different brews I am making. Beer / Ciders/ Wines ect.

Firstly, when I get my barrels, should I cure them, and keep them cured till the time I rack my brews into them, Or cure them JUST 24 hours before hand?

2nd, If I am to carbonate my brews (Not keg carb) Would that be something to be done after or before barrel aging? Mainly would carbonation be bad for the wood or affect it in anyway?

Lastly, if anyone has any kind of knowledge like barrels 101. It would be deeply appreciated. I don't have very much knowledge of barrels at all.

-Cheers and thank you.

I'm looking for the same info!

Subscribed. Where did you pick up your barrels and how large are they? How much did they cost? I know this is me asking you for info instead of giving it but I am looking to make a purchase as well as learn the ins and outs about how to do it. Thanks

Cheers

Dave

Subscribed. Where did you pick up your barrels and how large are they? How much did they cost? I know this is me asking you for info instead of giving it but I am looking to make a purchase as well as learn the ins and outs about how to do it. Thanks

Cheers

Dave

I had gotten mine from overseas. About 90 USD for a 5 gallon and 40 USD for a 1 gallon.

I can't tell you much about curing, and I've never used oak barrels before. however, I can tell you this:

1) You're going to want to make sure they're clean and sanitized. I'm not 100% sure what you use to clean them with. I have heard a lot of people on here note that for barrel aging, you'll want to add potassium metabisulfite or sodium metabisulfite (i.e. Campden Tablets or a similar product) to your barrels to make sure you don't have any wild yeast (such as Brettanomyces). I would assume this is done as a preliminary step prior to adding your beer, as opposed to in conjunction with your beer, but I'm sure others will come on here and provide this information.

2) Barrel aging is always done PRIOR to carbonating. Generally speaking, barrels are not rated to retain carbonation, so any carbonation in your beer will be gone after aging anyhow, and you might risk damaging the barrel. Theoretically and historically, it is possible to do your primary fermentation in the barrel, but my understanding is that due to the difficulties in cleaning the trub out of the barrels, the current generally accepted practice is to ferment either in your plastic bucket or carboy/better bottle, then transfer the beer to the barrel for bulk aging after fermentation has completed.

I can't tell you much about curing, and I've never used oak barrels before. however, I can tell you this:

1) You're going to want to make sure they're clean and sanitized. I'm not 100% sure what you use to clean them with. I have heard a lot of people on here note that for barrel aging, you'll want to add potassium metabisulfite or sodium metabisulfite (i.e. Campden Tablets or a similar product) to your barrels to make sure you don't have any wild yeast (such as Brettanomyces). I would assume this is done as a preliminary step prior to adding your beer, as opposed to in conjunction with your beer, but I'm sure others will come on here and provide this information.

2) Barrel aging is always done PRIOR to carbonating. Generally speaking, barrels are not rated to retain carbonation, so any carbonation in your beer will be gone after aging anyhow, and you might risk damaging the barrel. Theoretically and historically, it is possible to do your primary fermentation in the barrel, but my understanding is that due to the difficulties in cleaning the trub out of the barrels, the current generally accepted practice is to ferment either in your plastic bucket or carboy/better bottle, then transfer the beer to the barrel for bulk aging after fermentation has completed.

Excellent information about the Carbing afterwords. I had figured as much as far as the sanitizing goes. I had planned on use the Campden tablets with some boiling water the day before.

One more question. If I were to have by concoction of choice ready. Already been in secondary for a while. But I wanted to add something. IE pasteurized juice to cider. While it goes into the barrel. Basically to fill the amount of space I have left. Would be be ok to pop a few crushed campden tablets in there to keep safe?
Yes, I know pasteurized juice good for that but a factor of being on the safe side. As far as effects of the final product AND the barrel goes.

I honestly see no point in it. It's probably best to just barrel it as is. The campden tablets are good for fighting infections but in this case it's not necessary. As long as you cleaned it out thoroughly using hot water several times you should be fine. What's the worst that could happen? When using a barrel, it's trial and error more than anything.

Back