Good Batch Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessPurple

Reaction score
From reading on here it seems a lot of mead makers here do a 1 gallon batch and some do larger batches. Right now I have several 1 gal carboys which I have my first meads in. I was looking at getting some 3 gal carboys for larger batches as I am concerned about the 1 gal size being too small.

Those that have been making mead a while: what size batches work out well in terms of useability?

my concern on the one gal is that only 5 bottles would be gone quick if the mead came out good, but I could be wrong and that is a good amount before ready to move on to the next flavor of the day.

If I do 5 gal batches, I would imagine the bottles of mead would start to collect fast, esp if one wanted to try to make new batches every 1 or 2 months.

That is why I was wondering if 3 gal would be a happy medium or am I completely off on how far each bottle may go?

Any input on how much you make and how far it last based on how it is drank/shared would help me in terms of buying more carboys. So far I am having fun making the different batches - just none are old enough to drink yet.

the advantage of doing a 5 gallon batch is that you can split it in into 5 seperate 1 gallon batches when it is done and then add different berries, spices, etc to each batch

I like making ~4 gallons in 1/6bbl sanke kegs. :D I would be very aware of headspace for the batches too. Trying to make 3 or 5 gallons in a vessel that same size (rating) is a recipe for cleanup. Leave at least 1/2-3/4 of a gallon headspace in the vessel so that you don't make a sticky mess.

I usually ferment my meads in 3-gallon carboys. I usually use 2 gallons of water. With the volume of honey, that is somewhere in the 2.5 gallon range, which leaves just about the right amount of headspace. I did have to use a 5 gallon carboy on a melomel recently, because it used a large amount of fruit juice.

Is there a cheap place to get the 3 gallon carboys? I was thinking the same thing regarding batch size. My first batch is 5 gallons because I'm fairly confident I'll like it (blueberry). But 1 gallon seems a bit small, 3 gallons seemed like a happy medium.

knotquiteawake said:
Is there a cheap place to get the 3 gallon carboys? I was thinking the same thing regarding batch size. My first batch is 5 gallons because I'm fairly confident I'll like it (blueberry). But 1 gallon seems a bit small, 3 gallons seemed like a happy medium.

I have just been getting mine from a local place to avoid shipping costs (and to make sure the glass isn't cracked). I think the product cost here is a little high though. Sorry I don't have any helpful suggestions.

A 5 gal batch is sort of the standard size. I find that I can get about 2 cases out of it of 12 oz bottles. That's 8 sixpacks or 48 bottles. To me that is not too much. I habitually squirl away 1 sixpack for the future anyway and I have friends that love my mead. So yeah, a 5-6 gal batch is fine. Unfortunately I only have 8 carboys. So this means I do about 16 batches at most a year. That is still under 1/3 of the maximum for home brewing in my state (250 gal a year). It would be nice to have the honey money do do that much, let alone the space.

Matrix

For me the issue wouldn't be having "too much" mead, but like you said "honey money" is limited. So I would rather have a diversity of options than a lot of a few.

Many spring water companies that make larger 3,4 and 5 gallon waterbottles for home water coolers, use the type 1 I think it is bottles now that are non permeable to oxygen and stuff, I find they work great for primary fermenters and if you have a recycling center near by that you can make a friend at they will usually just give them to you, I've gotten 4, 4gallon ones in the last month from there for free.

I like 5-gallon batches. Supposedly smaller (1 gal) batches are good for experimental/test batches, but I've yet to have a bad batch, and I don't want it to be all gone after only 5 bottles and then have to make another batch!

A 5 gal batch is sort of the standard size. I find that I can get about 2 cases out of it of 12 oz bottles. That's 8 sixpacks or 48 bottles. To me that is not too much. I habitually squirl away 1 sixpack for the future anyway and I have friends that love my mead. So yeah, a 5-6 gal batch is fine. Unfortunately I only have 8 carboys. So this means I do about 16 batches at most a year. That is still under 1/3 of the maximum for home brewing in my state (250 gal a year). It would be nice to have the honey money do do that much, let alone the space.

Matrix
I like the idea of saving a six pack (or bottle or two) for the future.

Most of the people I hang around are not mead drinkers (mostly high end scotch and beer). However I do know many ladies from the Ren Fest that are big fans - having them visit would be a good thing....

Don't know about places in Dallas, but Austin Homebrew has some that look to be good prices. I'm heading to Austin for the 4th so I may stop in there before returning to Houston (avoid shipping costs and damage possibilities). Not to mention there are some honey companies in Austin as well like Goodflow Honey (which I need to call and see if they sell direct).

Looks like I may go 3 gallon until I convert more people to drinking mead.

I did the larger batch and subdivided which is how I filled all my 1 gal at the same time. Should I expect them to all finish up about the same time? I would like to get them staggered so that I have something new finishing up every couple months.

I like the idea of saving a six pack (or bottle or two) for the future.

Most of the people I hang around are not mead drinkers (mostly high end scotch and beer). However I do know many ladies from the Ren Fest that are big fans - having them visit would be a good thing....

Ah, Ren fair. Yes, many women from Ren Fair love mead. And can be very greateful for a good source.

My reasons for keeping a six pack back though is that it is for my old age. I figure when I am old and on a fixed budget and the like I wont have the ability to brew. By that time I should have a couple of hundred batches down. Then all I need to do is drink a nicely aged project with the added nostalgia of "Oh, I remember when I brewed that.." That should keep me in tasty booze when I am old. That and If you have the storage space you can see which batch aged well. I tasted a bottle from my first batch about 4 1/2 years ago. It was a non-oaked standard honey mead with alfalfa honey. And man was it smooth. Yum.

The rest is for the ladies and friends

Happy mead Making :mug:

Matrix

Looks like I may go 3 gallon until I convert more people to drinking mead.
QUOTE]

No, Brew Lots and convert at the same time. That way you will have some longer aged meads and the supply can be kept up with the demand.

Also, buying in bulk is so much better for honey buy. I think that after shipping Dutch Gold's prices are about $2.85/lb for a 60 pound bucket. That's 4-5 batchs of 5-6 gal meads. That will last for 6 months or so.

Matrix

Do you have wife? :eek:
If so you need more than just a house! :D

In our 1450sqft 3 bedroom house I have a 3x3ft space interior closet of space for brewing, and "as much space as you want" in the 95 degree garage.

Back