Newbie needs help( wont be the last time lol)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffaroo2001

Reaction score
Hi all,I've just brewed and tasted my first batch of lager and it's flat,very flat,I think I didn't keep it warm enough for second fermentation when I bottled it,if I tip it all into a barrel and warm it for a week with a brew belt will that work?

Duffaroo,frustratingly sober!

What did you use to carbonate the beer? Did you go through the full fermentation process for a lager? Your comment about second fermentation not being warm enough is concerning as lagers require a much cooler second fermentation. Provide the temps you used and that will help with diagnosing where the problem may lie.

I Was told to put priming sugar in bottles,then store at 20-23 degrees for a week then chill for 10 days,I'm thinking I didnt keep it warm enough?

Did you add sugar before you bottled it? If so just move the bottles to a warmer location in the house and give it a little more time.

Yeah I put sugar in bottles before adding the sexy stuff, nowhere in my home stays warm without the heating on 24-7,that's why I'm Thinking of transferring it to
A barrel,
P.s thanks for replies guys

Thanks guys but i can't keep my house warm without leaving the heating on 24 7,that's why I was wondering
If transferring to a barrel with brewbelt would help

wfahey said:
What did you use to carbonate the beer? Did you go through the full fermentation process for a lager? Your comment about second fermentation not being warm enough is concerning as lagers require a much cooler second fermentation. Provide the temps you used and that will help with diagnosing where the problem may lie.

My first fermentation was around 23 and second around 21 but second varied alot,it dropped quite often

20-23 is perfectly warm enough, just needs more time. Take them out of the fridge and give them a few weeks.

The yeast came with the kit,thanks guys I'll invest in a heat pad and place bottles on there for a few weeks,I'll keep you posted lol

I don't think you need a heat pad. They'll condition fine at lower temps (say anywhere above 18), it just takes a bit longer.

Again, sounds like this is an ale and not a lager...do you know what style of beer you brewed?

Back