Fermentation issue!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lind13

Reaction score
So we had brewed a little over a week ago and our mash temp was a little high but decided to go ahead with it. We were somewhere around 165 i believe. It was fermenting really well for about 4 days then i was gone for a couple days and just checked on them, from the looks they seem as though they are done fermenting but i took a gravity sample and it is still up around 1.040, there is no krausen left and the airlock is bubbling around 1 per 2 minutes at the most. What can i do to get my FG down? Or do i need to just let it sit another couple days and then bottle and hope it doesnt suck? Any advice would be awesome!

165 is indeed quite high! You could certainly get a lot of unfermentables from mashing that high, but not in the 1.040 range!

Could you talk a little more about your recipe? OG? Yeast used? Fermentation temps?

165 is high but it sounds like your beer is still fermenting. I would let it sit in primary at LEAST 3-4 weeks before bottling. don't rely on your airlock. when the gravity reading is the same 3 days in a row will give you an idea of when initial fermentation is done, but the yeast still have work to do even after that.

If it is bubbling it is definitely still fermenting.... Let it go at least 3 weeks. Maybe 4. Just relax....

The OG was around 1.071. The fermentation temp is between 64 and 68 and we did a 10 gal batch split between 2 carboys. One with a britsh ale yeast the other an Irish. They are both sitting at 1.040 and 1.041. I have brewed about 12 batches previous this being my 3rd all grain I can usually tell when primary fermentation is basically done and that is right now lol. I didn't know if I could add some fermentable sugars and pitch new yeast? Or what options I could have.

It's fermenting but the 165 probably killed a lot of the yeast so there arent enough to take the FG down to where you want it.

So how can I get it down? Or can I not? Is it going to be drinkable? We tried the gravity sample and it wasn't all that bad, just bitter from my hops

It's fermenting but the 165 probably killed a lot of the yeast so there arent enough to take the FG down to where you want it.

OP didn't pitch at 165, that was just mash temp. and for the record, i'm pretty sure that a 165 pitching temp would kill more than "a lot" of the yeast. :cross:

What? That was mash temp, not pitch. Has nothing to do with killing the yeast.

So how can I get it down? Or can I not? Is it going to be drinkable? We tried the gravity sample and it wasn't all that bad, just bitter from my hops

It is STILL fermenting. Walk away for 2 weeks and report back. Just leave it alone... .I promise. Those bubbles are a pretty good sign it is still going. Even if it wasn't, it is still going.

It is STILL fermenting. Walk away for 2 weeks and report back. Just leave it alone... .I promise. Those bubbles are a pretty good sign it is still going. Even if it wasn't, it is still going.

+1
OP, do yourself a favor and let your beer sit another 2-3 weeks. the yeasts still have much to do AFTER initial fermentation

It has only been 6 days. Still lots of time. Sounds as though a slow start, but it is STILL fermenting, so just let it ride.

OP didn't pitch at 165, that was just mash temp. and for the record, i'm pretty sure that a 165 pitching temp would kill more than "a lot" of the yeast. :cross:

Doh! I read it incorrectly and thought he pitched at 165. Sorry, carry on.

Im still not sure, it was definately not slow fermentation, it was extremely rapid for about 4 days, had blow off tubes connected and a lot of runoff, i know that when the krausen is basically gone the initial fermentation is basically over, and usually when i check at this point (the last 10+ times) The gravity is almost always within 8 points of its final, at the most. If i do let it sit 2 more weeks, or even keep checking the gravity and it has not changed after 3 days is there anything i can do? Or is it as low as it will get?

Seriously just relax! it is still bubbling, it is still fermenting. Leave it alone and don't touch it for a week. All you are doing is risking contamination every time you check it.

Step back, and put the hydrometer down.

Lind13 said:
Im still not sure, it was definately not slow fermentation, it was extremely rapid for about 4 days, had blow off tubes connected and a lot of runoff, i know that when the krausen is basically gone the initial fermentation is basically over, and usually when i check at this point (the last 10+ times) The gravity is almost always within 8 points of its final, at the most. If i do let it sit 2 more weeks, or even keep checking the gravity and it has not changed after 3 days is there anything i can do? Or is it as low as it will get?

Rouse the yeast a bit by gently shaking the carboy and let your temps come up a few degrees. Let the yeast sit for a few days like that and check your gravity again. I'm guessing that will be enough to help you finish it off. If after that there's still no movement, then find yourself a neutral yeast, make a starter and pitch it. If that doesn't work, drive to your homebrew store, get a bunch of ingredients and start over. ;)

Im having a similar issue... not in regards to the mash or anything but just with an apparently stuck fermentation. As soon as I suggest that something needs to be done I get all the "step away from the beer" comments, and yet I take two readings four days apart and no difference. No matter how long I wait, 0+0=0 in other words if it hasn't come down at all I fail to see how the yeast will suddenly spring into action after weeks of inactivity. It seems like OP, and myself, should just repitch with a warmer fermenting yeast that is compatible with the style and put the carboys in a nice warm spot.

OK, I have to ask, because I made the mistake myself. Are you using a refractor? If so are you using the conversion table? I know many people have made the same mistake. If you're using a refractor to get your gravity, without a conversion it is only good for the O.G.

I am happy to share my shame if it help another. I went through the same frustration, talked to numerous seasoned brewers and stopped by 2 home brew stores and nobody brought up my stupidity, I mean nobody asked if I knew how to use a refractor.

So if you are using one then google "refractor conversion" and you will get the link to the excel sheet from MoreBeer

could use amylase powder to break down your unfermentables...never used it, but have read different threads about it (hopefully never having to need it!)

search the forums for it...i'm sure that would be the solution

edit: this of course assumes fermentation is over with, which you are stating

Back