How do you boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you boil?

• Gas range

• Electric range

• Turkey cooker

• Propane hybrid type of thing

• Ralph Nader

Results are only viewable after voting.
I built my own burners so I have basically 2 flame throwers under each kettle. MAJOR BTUs and low costs. "I love the smell of propane in the morning. It reminds me of brewing..."

Electric but it really does give me the sh1ts.
Getting new kitchen new year (hopefully) and the gas stove I get will have a HUGE burner on it. ...wonder what the output of the wok burners are. (Ideal would be the burners in the chinese takeaways! they are HOT)

EDIT : just googled wok burners and it looks like 40-60K range. Could be possible!

200,000+ BTUs on natural gas, baby!

4688-holyhellburner.JPG

looking at that - my idea of a wok burner looks like a match flame. Plus if there was boil over that would be bad in the (new) kitchen

I use our kitchen gas range.The 2 right hand burners each swivel in for big kettles or griddles i suppose.We use a 58qt SS pot(16"dia) and it works pretty good.We boil 7.5 gals of wort and i just have to cover it up halfway with the lid for a good violent boil.I love being able to do the whole works in the kitchen without having to lug any liquids around.Not to mention that I can brew anytime indoors without dealing with the weather,especially this time of year.;)
Cheers:mug:

This thing is a tight fit on the Kettle, I have to tug it apart. If I pick the kettle up then it lifts with the kettle. only 30,000 BTU but it'll get me to boil in <30 mins and evaporate >10%/hr

burner-1.JPG

PICT0002-1.JPG

I bought a turkey fryer from Home Depot for $45. The kicker is that it has an electric element and temp control with a built in timer. I have used it for 4 or 5 batches now and have had no problems at all. The timer isn't exactly accurate but the temp is right on. Once I go all grain, I will use it to heat water to mash and sparge temps and use my old pot for the boils. As well, it holds about 7 gallons.

I've got to love my 210,000 BTU, Banjo. It does an wonderful job evenly distributing the heat and it's a monster.

I boil in the garage on the propane cooker, but I heat the mash and sparge water on the kitchen stove. That way, the cost of heating the water comes out of the household budget rather than the brewing budget (but don't tell SWMBO).

-a.

Latest posts

Back