Have a yeast culture, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh_Jass

Reaction score
I took approximately 8 oz of wlp 400 from my starter. It's in a sanitized mason jar.
Is there anything further I need to do with this culture?
Given the storage method, how long should I expect the culture to last. Here's a picture.

DSC01618.JPG

Thanks!:mug:

John,

That clean yeast looks good, and you'll be able to grow up starters from that master culture for months and months. Keep it as cold as possible without freezing - a member of my brew club told me last night that he brought back a 3-year old WL vial that had been held about 34°.

Jason

Very nice job. That jar you have right there should last you about 6 months, tops... before having to get rid of it. Just think, you were able to pull that one jar from your starter. When you're finished and transfer to secondary, you could do another wash of the yeast and have several more of those jars ready to go for pitching next time!

Rsmith- Thank you for the kind words. If I repitch this sample into another starter and take another cup off of that starter, does that buy me another 6 months?

Jason - When I'm growing a starter from this culture, do I pitch the whole thing, decant most of the liquid and pitch, use a sanitized spoon to pitch into a starter?

Thanks for your patience. For some reason, I'm having wrapping my pea-sized brain around this process.:eek:

Jason - When I'm growing a starter from this culture, do I pitch the whole thing, decant most of the liquid and pitch, use a sanitized spoon to pitch into a starter?

Either process should work well, so it's entirely up to you. What I typically do is decant and pitch the slurry into the starter, grow it up to a sufficient level and again reserve a portion for continued storage. I find this preferable to harvesting from a cake because in the case of the cake, the yeast is stressed from fermentation and viability is compromised. Make note of when you put the batch into storage and consider growing it up every 6 months to keep the yeast fresh and viable.

Jason, Thanks for the advice.

LazyLlama - I did read Bernie's sticky before posting. Just re-read it and makes more sense.

Looks nice.

Allow me to point out (and not trying to be a jerk) that a yeast "culture" for homebrewers normally refers to yeast grown (i.e., cultured) and not decanted/washed. For homebrewers this generally implies a plate, frozen culture, or slant.

I pick this nit because a thread called "Have washed yeast, now what?" would probably attract more responses from people who are using the same technique you are using. No offense intended, and contrary opinions and corrections welcomed.

Latest posts

Back