LHBS ups the $$$$

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmbrewernw

Reaction score
My LHBS just sent an email saying that they will be raising the cost of their hops and malts by as much as 20-50% :( I actually bought my ingredients from morebeer today instead of my LHBS, I always want to support the local guy but this is ridiculous. Last time I was in a couple of weeks ago hops were going for $5.95 for 2oz I don't even want to think of what they are now. When will the madness end :drunk: ?

They said that the hop shortage/bad crops, fuel prices, and the economy were to blame. Pretty much what everyone else is blaming the prices on. Unfortunately they had already increased their prices quite a bit a month back or so, I love the shop but I don't know if I can afford to shop there until this all weathers over. Hopefully they still have $25 used cornie kegs!

While shopping for my "Intro to Keg" kit, I can order from Midwest and pay $160 including shipping, or I can drive 100 miles, one way, pay $190, and 9.5% Tax. Dang. I can't afford to shop there...But still. There is something about actually visiting the store, I'll still get ingredients there.

BigKahuna said:
While shopping for my "Intro to Keg" kit, I can order from Midwest and pay $160 including shipping, or I can drive 100 miles, one way, pay $190, and 9.5% Tax. Dang. I can't afford to shop there...But still. There is something about actually visiting the store, I'll still get ingredients there.
Man, I was going to post a link to the keg setup I got off of keg connection, but midwest actually has a better deal. Nice find! Before you order, put an ad out on your local craig's list for a CO2 tank. I was able to pick up a 20lb one from a local homebrewer for dirt cheap.

farmbrewernw said:
My LHBS just sent an email saying that they will be raising the cost of their hops and malts by as much as 20-50% :( I actually bought my ingredients from morebeer today instead of my LHBS, I always want to support the local guy but this is ridiculous. Last time I was in a couple of weeks ago hops were going for $5.95 for 2oz I don't even want to think of what they are now. When will the madness end :drunk: ?

Why not buy from a brewery instead? Things Beer is the homebrew store at Michigan Brewing Company, which is the second largest microbrewery in Michigan.

http://www.michiganbrewing.com/Home.jsp

drayman86 said:
Why not buy from a brewery instead? Things Beer is the homebrew store at Michigan Brewing Company, which is the second largest microbrewery in Michigan.

http://www.michiganbrewing.com/Home.jsp
Well not that I want to knock on this site but they seem to be out of a lot. Prices seem to be good enough but when your out of 2 row you got problems. I think my lhbs is running out of varieties, they usually get their hops from Fresh Hops which is practically down the road but even Fresh Hops has little in the way of varieties right now. I guess the biggest thing is that I could either drive an hour to my lhbs or order and have it shipped to my house and actually come out slightly cheaper with shipping included. Unfortunately now I feel bad for shorting my shop the money I would have spent this week. I have wanted to start my own hbs/bottle shop for a while now and I would have to close down if everyone did what I just did (ordering from the big guys)

My shop kept prices the same but requires a purchase of 7-10lbs of grain for each 3 oz of hops. But I got a call today and was told I can get any quantity of hops I want due to the size order of grain I just got :D (250lbs 2 row 150lbs marris otter 50 munich 25 flaked corn 50 pilsen malt)

too bad they don't have any hops!

farmbrewernw said:
Well not that I want to knock on this site but they seem to be out of a lot. Prices seem to be good enough but when your out of 2 row you got problems. I think my lhbs is running out of varieties, they usually get their hops from Fresh Hops which is practically down the road but even Fresh Hops has little in the way of varieties right now. I guess the biggest thing is that I could either drive an hour to my lhbs or order and have it shipped to my house and actually come out slightly cheaper with shipping included. Unfortunately now I feel bad for shorting my shop the money I would have spent this week. I have wanted to start my own hbs/bottle shop for a while now and I would have to close down if everyone did what I just did (ordering from the big guys)

Not really out of two-row, just Briess two-row. They have a great hop selection, and pretty good prices. The people there don't always give the most practical advice, but still the selection keeps me from shopping on line for anything but kegging equipment.

bevoduz said:
My shop kept prices the same but requires a purchase of 7-10lbs of grain for each 3 oz of hops. But I got a call today and was told I can get any quantity of hops I want due to the size order of grain I just got :D (250lbs 2 row 150lbs marris otter 50 munich 25 flaked corn 50 pilsen malt)

too bad they don't have any hops!

my shop has the same policy, but we're allowed 6oz per "fermentables for a 5g batch". that's fine, do what you have to do, but now i always buy 6oz of hops when ever i buy grain. i have about 10lbs of hops in the freezer and there were many times in the past that i'd buy grain for a couple batches and not buy any hops because i had what i needed. now that they've decided to tell me that i can't buy hops unless i'm buying grain, i'm going to buy hops regardless of whether or not i need them. this shop opened recently to fill the void of the only shop in town that had closed and the owner came to our club meeting to introduce himself and the shop, and he also introduced this hop policy. everyone in the club that i've talked to about the policy is has the same feeling about it that i do, and we estimate that they're selling a lot more hops then they would be with out the rationing.

batesjer said:
Not really out of two-row, just Briess two-row. They have a great hop selection, and pretty good prices. The people there don't always give the most practical advice, but still the selection keeps me from shopping on line for anything but kegging equipment.
Ah I didn't see that, just kind of scanned the site quick. Point is I really don't want to mail order because I really like the guys at Corvallis Brewing Supply I think hands down they are the best brewing supply store I have ever been to. Super friendly, helpful, and a great atmosphere, oh and they have some killer beers from all over the county, region, and world.

farmbrewernw said:
Well not that I want to knock on this site but they seem to be out of a lot.

Hops, sure. Everyone's out of hops. Right on the their homepage, they state you have to call about hops. All grains are in stock; if in doubt, just call. All the staff have extensive homebrewing experience.

My local homebrew store upped their prices from $1.50 / lb for grain to $2.00 / lb, and $3.50 / 2oz hops went up to $5 / 2 oz, and there is a 4 oz limit on hops and you can only buy them if buying more than $10 worth of grain. It's pretty lame. I might consider ordering online, but with shipping it's so hard to get a better deal.

Well I guess the day of high hop and high gravity brews is a thing of the past until things level out. I have actually started liking the session brews much to my dismay. :drunk:

Back