Floaters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanLouis

Reaction score
I have been fermenting my second batch of gfree beer, sort of a Belgian blonde. Its been almost two weeks in primary and I've notices a bit of sediment floating on top. I don't remember I'd I saw this in my first batch. Is it normal to get floaters and do they settle out? I'm planning on bottling this Friday putting it at 2wks2days in primary. No secondary as I'm wanting it ready for my birthday on April 3rd. I also used a yeast nutrient if that makes a difference.

Is it a Belgian yeast? Its most likely normal. Some people call them yeast rafts. Try cold crashing for 24hrs if you can. If you can't, just rack from underneath the floaters.

I'm guessing its a top fermenting yeast and this is normal but can you please upload a photo?

Again I'm a beginner, what constitutes cold crashing? Its an ale yeast, Nottingham

EvanLouis said:
..a bit of sediment floating on top.

Thats a bit of an oxymoron, don't you think? :)

If it looks like yeast clumps, it's normal. You can poke them down with a sanitized object or shake your fermentor a bit to try to get them to drop.

Cold crashing would be to cool your beer to a near freezing temperature so that yeast and other particles drop to the bottom of the fermentor. If those yeast clumps haven't broken the surface tension of your beer, they will continue to float even after cold crashing, so again, just find a sanitary way to push them down or just avoid them when racking your beer for packaging.

I don't see the oxymoron, maybe I'm the moron. Anyways I pulled the carboy out of the closet and just that motion was enough to knock the bulk of the yeast rafts down. Ill put a pic up soon. Thanks y'all! This forum has replaced Facebook for me.

sediment- matter that settles to the bottom of a liquid
oxymoron- a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction, such as, "sediment floating on top".

Any play on words, whether intentional or not is amusing to me. I'm a dork like that. Your thread title had me worried. I almost didn't open it last night :)

Glad you got the yeast rafts to settle. Even when using the same yeast, sometimes they form and sometimes they don't.

Back