Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to this forum, and this is my first post. Usually I convert Soda vending machines into Custom gun safes and they turn out pretty good. But this time I went in a different direction and converted one into a Kegerator. Just figure I would share some pictures, I have seen some really nice work on this thread. Everyone keep up the good work.

keg5_zpsdf7a9a50.jpg

keg2_zps4825ab8f.jpg

Keg1_zps7e01b819.jpg

keg4_zps7f67ac4c.jpg

Picked up a fridge for FREE.99 off craigslist this past sunday.

AFTER i took the hockey-puck sized chunk of black mold out of the freezer, i proceeded to clean it for about 3 hours. Then, i sprayed the entire inside down with bleach/h2o.

Then, i removed the defroster drain tube from the back, and unclogged it. Hopefully this will correct the puddle in the floor of the fridge compartment.

A friend and I did some drilling/cutting, then I did some cursing because my shanks werent threaded all the way to the faucet end. So I proceeded to make a backer-board out of a 2x4, which i marked and drilled the same pattern as the fridge door.

Finally got around to installing everything, and now have my very first kegged homebrew in there carbing up :)

2013-01-15_12-52-37_599.jpg

You guys have to stop!!! Looking at all these great keezers and kegerators, has had me looking at other spots in the house to put one, so I can start building another one. :D

Just finished my keezer. I had to make it mesh with the rest of the house since SWMBO approved placing it in the dining room. I'm going to add two more taps and I haven't quite figured out what I want to do for a drip tray.

image.jpg

As long as you can get SWMBO on board.....for a kegerator in the living room, I'd be all to happy to involve her in the design scheme:D

Just finished my keezer. I had to make it mesh with the rest of the house since SWMBO approved placing it in the dining room. I'm going to add two more taps and I haven't quite figured out what I want to do for a drip tray.

I like the woodwork and design features but you loose serious points if you really fill that thing with bud and bud light.

As far as drip trays might I suggest a glass rack/drip tray stand.

IMG_8993.jpg

Thanks for giving this thing a name. I didn't know it was called the David system. It must be obsolete because I see little to no info online.

Since Heineken is a Dutch company, a David system is quite common over here. Not sure if they are still actively sold/rented by Heineken itself.

They make a great kegerator, but still go for somewhere between 200 and 400 euro's.
Kegerators, but especially keezers are kind of odd overhere.
I prefer my drycooler, instant cold beer even when the keg is on room temps :)

I like the woodwork and design features but you loose serious points if you really fill that thing with bud and bud light.

There definitely won't be bud light going in there, only homebrews. The tap handles are from my old college days.

I like the drip tray idea, but we have pets so having glasses on near the ground probably isn't a great idea.

Photopilot said:

Did you build those glass holders?

Had a regular old full size fridge with taps on the door which wasn't worthy of pictures. It took up space in our spare bedroom which needs to be used, so I had to work out a solution. Moved the fridge to the garage and positioned it so I could run taps into the dining room for easy access.

I had to build a box to encase the shanks so that the cold air from the fridge stayed in the tap and fridge as a closed system.

Used 3" PVC (copied that idea from Big Z in post 188) to plumb the lines.

taps.jpg

tap box.jpg

line plumbing.jpg

Just recently finished

Only one tap currently but room for 4 once I get my flow goin again
Spent so much time creating I fell behind in brewing :(

Salvaged some fridge parts
Shelf sits nicely on one side for any spare cans of beer (live at beach so necessary)
and drawer on other side for spare bottles

Auburn bottle cap opener
Stainless steel appliance paint on top
With strip of chalkboard paint

image-1937419940.jpg

image-440270746.jpg

Yessir. She's much happier with this setup. Gained a spare bedroom in the process and its less creepy now when we have a party as folks used to have to walk right by all our bedrooms to get beer. Weird.

Did you build those glass holders?

Yes I did. Initially I was trying to make everything reversible on the keezer and did not want to drill into it. I tried to get the drip tray to stay on with magnets. The keezer was not very magnetic sot it was not going to work. So i built the first drip tray stand and designed it to hold 12 glasses. Sides were 2x8s two shelves were red birch. I used a dado blade to notch the grooves for the shelves in the sides. Dado to also make the grooves for the glass rack also.

There are inset magnets on the back of each leg to hold the racks tight to the fridge. While the magnet won't keep the drip tray from sliding down it holds the stands tight to the freezer. I think it would be adequate to keep it safe from dogs bumping it off, maybe not sniffing the glassware though.

The original freezer was a $50 beater. It had lots of dings in it, from the car bumper. I built the second glass rack to cover the ugly dings. I have a total 6 types of glassware available between the two racks. The right side of the glass rack has a bottle opener and cap catcher.

Had a regular old full size fridge with taps on the door which wasn't worthy of pictures. It took up space in our spare bedroom which needs to be used, so I had to work out a solution. Moved the fridge to the garage and positioned it so I could run taps into the dining room for easy access.

I had to build a box to encase the shanks so that the cold air from the fridge stayed in the tap and fridge as a closed system.

Used 3" PVC (copied that idea from Big Z in post 188) to plumb the lines.

Very nice set up. Wonder if I could run a line up to my office?

Latest posts

Back