Brigalow Apple Cider Kit Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett_1978

Reaction score
Hi

I'm fairly new to brewing and I wanted to ask if anyone had any adjustments to improve the Brigalow Apple Cider kit?

Cheers

Never heard of it. What's the problem? Too dry? Too sweet? More information will produce more answers.

Hi mate

I find the kit produces a cider that's a little bland. It would be good to make it a bit drier. I don't really know where to start to do that. ;-)

Can you post a bit more about the kit? What were the ingredients you used?

Drop the kit get some good apple juice (or blend of juices) Nottingham ale yeast. nutrient. 1 cup Brown sugar. 1 clove 1/4 lemon... juiced of coarse ...sg 1.060 ferment 7 days. Fg 1.010 cold crash ....rack add priming sugar to .03-.04 bottle let set a few days to Carb. Pasteurize let set 1-2 months then have a party serve cold and bubbly. Just my 2 cents

I'm not familiar with that particular kit, but you probably couldn't go wrong with adding a little frozen apple juice concentrate to it. That should give you a little more apple flavor in the end product. It will also give the yeast a little more fermentable sugar. What size batch does this kit make?

I believe Brigalow is a super cheap Australian kit (for those who don't know). So he probably won't have access to apple concentrate.

I've hear of people mixing it as normal but substituting some of the water for apple juice.

I've never used a brigalow kit before but I've heard it isn't a good one (just for later reference). It's a shame it is the only one that is so readily available outside of homebrew stores.

smegger said:
I believe Brigalow is a super cheap Australian kit (for those who don't know). So he probably won't have access to apple concentrate.

I've hear of people mixing it as normal but substituting some of the water for apple juice.

I've never used a brigalow kit before but I've heard it isn't a good one (just for later reference). It's a shame it is the only one that is so readily available outside of homebrew stores.

There is also Mangrove Jack brand in Australia of which there is an apple and a pear kit. I have only tried pear, a little artificial tasting for my liking. Tried once and no more kit ciders for me.

I have made my own concentrate by reducing store bought juice to 1/6 of original volume, works OK so far.

There is also Mangrove Jack brand in Australia of which there is an apple and a pear kit. I have only tried pear, a little artificial tasting for my liking. Tried once and no more kit ciders for me.

I have made my own concentrate by reducing store bought juice to 1/6 of original volume, works OK so far.

I tried the apple one that someone else made. It was pretty good.
It does cost a lot more than brigalow, but the quality difference will be noticeable. I think I saw mangrove jacks at around $40ish at some local stores.

smegger said:
I tried the apple one that someone else made. It was pretty good.
It does cost a lot more than brigalow, but the quality difference will be noticeable. I think I saw mangrove jacks at around $40ish at some local stores.

Yeah $40 is about the going rate. Can get 24L of Berri juice for about $25-30 when on sale so I usually go with that!!!

I add 2.5 litres of just juice(apple) to my brigalow apple concentrate whilst in the wort fermenting, and as yet have had no complaints from any of my mates, i have also added 2 ltres of mango juice for my wifes taste and she came out a pearler,bloody nice on a hot summers day..happy brewing!!!!

Hi Guys

Thanks for your suggestions. I am going to add extra apple juice and see how that goes (4L instead of 4L of the water). The kit makes about 17L of cider. I tried a lot if things in my last attempt but too much so going to keep it simple this time! I'll let you know how it goes! :)

I add 2.5 litres of just juice(apple) to my brigalow apple concentrate whilst in the wort fermenting, and as yet have had no complaints from any of my mates, i have also added 2 ltres of mango juice for my wifes taste and she came out a pearler,bloody nice on a hot summers day..happy brewing!!!!
I am also only a novice and used the Brigalow the first time and looking for a better taste - interested to know how much Berri juice you added and at what what stage of the fermenting process eg before or after yeast etc.
Mango sounds like a divine - what concentrate / juice did you use

Back