Bottling Bucket Valve Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfbrew70

Reaction score
I used a bottling bucket for my primary fermenter. Before filling, I ran sanitizer through the valve, then wrapped the valve with plastic wrap.

When I'm ready to transfer the batch, should I try to sanitize the valve again before running the beer through it?

I was thinking about mixing some sanitizer and spraying it into the valve spout, then flushing a small amount of beer through it.

Thanks!

If you flip the spigot upside down, you can fill it with sanitizer and let it sit for a minute. There is a carb hole that you will have to plug with your finger though, or the sanitizer will run right back out.

Be sure to take those plastic spigots completely apart to clean and sanitize them.

While running sanitizer through the spigot open and close it repeatedly to expose as much of its inner surfaces to the sanitizer as you can.

bosco

Be sure to take those plastic spigots completely apart to clean and sanitize them.

This for sure, including removing the nut and washers that hold the spigot in the bucket as these hold an incredible amount of old wort. The spigot comes apart too. Hold it under hot water first and it pops apart quite easily.

While running sanitizer through the spigot open and close it repeatedly to expose as much of its inner surfaces to the sanitizer as you can.

bosco

This for sure, including removing the nut and washers that hold the spigot in the bucket as these hold an incredible amount of old wort. The spigot comes apart too. Hold it under hot water first and it pops apart quite easily.

He has beer in the bucket already. He used it for a primary. He wants to sanitize the spigot before he transfers the beer through it.

To the OP, just hit it with some star san and you'll be fine.

He has beer in the bucket already. He used it for a primary. He wants to sanitize the spigot before he transfers the beer through it.

To the OP, just hit it with some star san and you'll be fine.

This, this is where a spray bottle with star san is useful..just a few sprays up into the nozzle and on it and wait 30 seconds and your good.

Thanks for the responses fellas!

I did sanitize the valve before filling the bucket.

It sounds like I'm on the right track for my next step. I'll do some additional sanitizing and a very brief purge before beginning my transfer.

Thanks!

One other thing. The first few onces or so are going to be very cloudy from all the yeast and trub that collected in the body of the spigot. You may want to waste this if you getting ready to bottle.

One other thing. The first few onces or so are going to be very cloudy from all the yeast and trub that collected in the body of the spigot. You may want to waste this if you getting ready to bottle.

Got ya.

This is my first go at fermenting in a bottling bucket. Considering no secondary (always used one before).

Thanks.

You can not ever over-sanitize! Whenever the question is "Should I sanitize (whatever)?" Or "Should I sanitize (whatever) again?" The answer is always YES. It takes seconds, costs almost nothing and can only help your beer.

If you flip the spigot upside down, you can fill it with sanitizer and let it sit for a minute. There is a carb hole that you will have to plug with your finger though, or the sanitizer will run right back out.

What if you tape the carb hole?

Or, if it isn't too much work, just connect the upside down spigot to an auto-siphon/tubing and "flush" the spigot. Just put a sauce pan under the spigot to catch the run off.

I always go from fermenter to bottle and the first draw throught the spigot goes into a Pepsi bottle. I use it to test carbonation and when it's clear and carbed I drink it.

Same for the last few bottles, they get a little sediment but by the time I'm into drinking them it's stuck to the bottom and is no problem.

bosco

What if you tape the carb hole?

Or, if it isn't too much work, just connect the upside down spigot to an auto-siphon/tubing and "flush" the spigot. Just put a sauce pan under the spigot to catch the run off.

Those are also viable options. Whatever floats your boat.

Before filling the bucket, I mounted the valve sideways so that the bucket would sit flat (the spigot would have extended below the bottom of the bucket).

I had assumed that I would be runningt out the level with the valve still sideways.

Can you rotate the valve without causing a leak?

Before filling the bucket, I mounted the valve sideways so that the bucket would sit flat (the spigot would have extended below the bottom of the bucket).

I had assumed that I would be runningt out the level with the valve still sideways.

Can you rotate the valve without causing a leak?

You should be able to if the spigot is in good condition. Some of mine are getting worse for the wear and if you mess with them at all they leak.

My original question focused on sanitizing the spigot before transferring.

Another quick question...

While the batch is fermenting, can I pull gravity samples from the spigot or would this contaminate the spigot for when I am ready to transfer?

I've searched past threads and have seen opinions all over the place. What's the latest line of thought among the collective wisdom of the board?

Thanks!

I spray starsan up into the spout before & after use. I always pull hydrometer samples through them. that's what I put them there for. And if you strain wort & top off water going into the FV,you won't have more than about 3/8" of trub & yeast on the bottom. the spigot's level is substantially higher than that. I don't get much if any trub in the body of the spigot. You only get that if you blindly pour everything in there. Then,in the end,you have 3-5" of gunk down there,burying the spigot. Always strain going in. And I don't mean those big funnels with some lil ol' 3" strainer stuck in it. I mean a large,dual layer,fine mesh strainer. It'll help aerate all going in too.

I spray starsan up into the spout before & after use. I always pull hydrometer samples through them. that's what I put them there for...

Thanks, uniondr.

Do you also transfer through the spout?

It sounds like spraying with starsan pre/post sample (and again pre-transfer) would keep the spigot clean and sanitized. Just want to be sure so that I don't screw up a batch.

I also have mine wrapped with plastic wrap, so that should help.

Back