Bravo hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about bravo hops? They smell similar to Chinook but I thing they are around 15% AA. I have a couple of oz's to try out and I'm looking for any info I can get before I decide on what they will be used for.
Thanks

Two years later, and I have the same question. I was thinking of doing an IPA with mine, but anyone else have a suggestion?

That's what I always thought as well. But, I took a tour yesterday, and in their hop room I ran my hands through a giant pile of conspicuously labeled Bravo. I was curious what they were using it for, and I saw a hopping schedule for Pale Ale on a clipboard hanging on the wall. Bravo for bittering in PA, at least this week.

another 2 years later, Bravo hops are used in Shiners Wild Hare Pale Ale, Along with Golding hops...

I just bought 1lb of Bravo from Hops Direct. I have no idea what I will use them for. Per this quote from some other site:
"Nice medium lingering bitterness -- not as harsh as Chinook, but not soft like a low alpha either - sort of like Simcoe in terms of bitterring. IMparts a bit of earthiness to it too, much like Warrior, IMO."
I suppose they make good bittering hops. If I ever get around to making a single hop IPA with these I be sure to post the results.

I use Bravo for bittering just about all of my American ales. Cheap, high AA, and not at all what I'd call harsh. More along the lines of assertive bitterness.

I just tapped an all-Bravo IPA. I used flavor, aroma & dry-hop additions.

I like it. It's a little strange, because the flavor isn't noble or piney, but more minty & doesn't linger. I'll see how it grows on me. Not sure I'd dry hop with it again.

any more bravo updates? bravo dryhopping seems questionable, but decent flavor?

i brewed an all bravo pale ale yesterday, 1st time using the hop. hops smelled a little oniony, earthy, and citrusy at 15AA
pound of rye and crystal 50, 6# LME.
60 .5oz
15 .5oz
5. 1oz

I just picked up a pound of Bravo in an order with Amarillo, EKG and Calypso. Description sounded okay: spicy, earthy, and lightly floral aroma.

Back