Is my Triple finished fermenting at 1.022?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyral210

Reaction score
Ok, My triple has been fermenting for the past two weeks, starting at 18°C and raising to 22°C. That is dispute Brewferm saying keep in a room of 25°C.

I just too a reading and it is 1.022, much higher than the 1.010 I assume I am heading for. Does this mean it still needs more time?

One different thing I did though was invert the sugar rather than just dumping it in. This meant my sugars were a little caramelised as the syrup was kinda dark. I am assuming this will increase the FG anyway?

In short, is my beer ready yet?

I haven't used Brewferm, but that sounds like a high FG. Did you just pitch the dry yeast, or did you make a starter? For a tripel, you want the FG to be very low and finish relatively dry. I would try to agitate it a bit by shaking it lightly every few hours and let it sit for another week. Your temperature range sounds about right, but (from the experience I have from the tripel yeast I use) you want it to be closer to 22C.

I can't comment on the caramelized sugars, because there are far too many variables, such as how much you cooked, if you burned it, if you added it during the boil, if you added it to the fermenter, etc. Generally speaking, thicker sugars will lengthen the fermentation process but again there's a lot to consider, and I think that after 2 weeks it's more likely that you just under-pitched and the yeast is just chugging along slowly.

Given it a little bit of a shake, made the ambient room temp 25°C and will give it 3 days and see where I get to.

Given it a little bit of a shake, made the ambient room temp 25°C and will give it 3 days and see where I get to.

It's a Tripel, give it more time. I'd suggest you try 3 weeks instead of 3 days. The yeast is going to be a bit stressed with the alcohol and will be working pretty slowly.

The last 20% of attenuation can take as long as the first 80% for high gravity Belgians and some of the strains used in these beers. An OG of 1.063 isn't high at all though compared to a normal Tripel. Just let the temp ramp up and give it a few more weeks.

The last 20% of attenuation can take as long as the first 80% for high gravity Belgians and some of the strains used in these beers. An OG of 1.063 isn't high at all though compared to a normal Tripel. Just let the temp ramp up and give it a few more weeks.

This. +1

Latest posts

Back