Panic!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onescalerguy

Reaction score
Please help a poor wannabe homebrewer.I'm into steeping my grains(about done)and looking things over and rereading the instructions when i realize they forgot to include the whirfloc.What to do?Am i fouled?Thanks.:(

Whirfloc and other fining agents such as Irish Moss are usually added in the last 10 minutes of the boil process, not while steeping the grains.

Even if you got the beer into the fermenter before realizing that you failed to add the whirfloc wouldn't hurt your beer. It's not a necessary ingredient. All it does is help clear the beer up and reduce chill haze. Neither one of which can be tasted.

Relax and have fun. YOU'RE MAKING BEER!!!! :D

I bought some Whirfloc last brew to try and completely forgot to add it to the boil. Not losing any sleep. I normally use regular Irish Moss, but only on lighter and clearer brews. As stated, it contributes nothing to taste/texture/etc etc. It is aesthetic.

I forgot to add my Irish Moss on this batch, oh well maybe some Chill haze but my tummy will never know the difference. No big deal dont sweat it.

This is how dumb I am, I bought Irish Moss to add in a Brew uhhhhhh oh yeah, 4 brews ago and planned on using it in each one since.

I have not used it yet:drunk:

I used it this time, but I never have before.
I'll let you know.

So far it seems to have made quite a mess...

FANTASTIC!My thanks to all.:rockin:

Boiling-B3 stout
Secondary1-Yellow Dog Ale
Secondary2-Nut Brown Ale
Bottled-THB O'Fest
Bottled-THB Trad.Wheat
Drinking...Hey,it just turned 12....Sam Adams:mug:

Back