why do friends think homebrew is FREE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
probably talked about before, but a quick search did not show any recent threads, so I thought I would put it out for discussion. It seems when friends stopped over "for a few" in the pre-homebrew days, we would all kick in a few bucks and someone would make a beer run. A couple of sixes, chairs on the porch or deck, great conversation. . .

Now, with known homebrew in stock, they stop by to "try the latest brew" and hang out, drinking three or four. I have never asked for money from them, yet homebrew is NOT free, and some of the more extreme ones probably cost $2-$3 per pint in ingredients alone, let alone the time and energy and equipment that went into it (a recent Pliny clone and the present Noble IPA each used over a pound of hops in five gallons). I am not trying to be an arse about this, but would it be too much if I asked for a buck or two per beer to cover these costs? How do you handle the freeloaders?

probably talked about before, but a quick search did not show any recent threads, so I thought I would put it out for discussion. It seems when friends stopped over "for a few" in the pre-homebrew days, we would all kick in a few bucks and someone would make a beer run. A couple of sixes, chairs on the porch or deck, great conversation. . .

Now, with known homebrew in stock, they stop by to "try the latest brew" and hang out, drinking three or four. I have never asked for money from them, yet homebrew is NOT free, and some of the more extreme ones probably cost $2-$3 per pint in ingredients alone, let alone the time and energy and equipment that went into it (a recent Pliny clone and the present Noble IPA each used over a pound of hops in five gallons). I am not trying to be an arse about this, but would it be too much if I asked for a buck or two per beer to cover these costs? How do you handle the freeloaders?

I have to say that I am on the opposite end of the coin. I offer unlimited free homebrew to all that visit my place.

That being said, I think a good way may be to explain to them and show them the process and the casually mention the price of hops, yeast, fermenters, grains...etc..etc...tell them it is quite time consuming and moderately expensive. Maybe they will then start to pitch in.

Ah, the ultimate homebrewer's beef.

Thank god 95% of my friends and family brew or make wine so we're always sharing. It all balances out eventually in my life. Same with food and everything else. To me it's about sharing the bounty.

I look at it this way: I am furthering a cause (good beer), and I'm enjoying my hobby. I'm glad to help turn other people on to the cause and the hobby. In terms of cost, it's a rather inexpensive hobby. Compare it to golf, for example. So, my beer is free. Now, if somebody wants me to prepare an entire batch for them then, yeah, they have to buy the materials; I donate the time and effort, and I get to keep some for myself.

I'll usually have my friends pick up a few things on the way over to my place such as munchies, meat for the bbq, wood for the fire pit, or stogies to go along with the brew. I enjoy sharing a few brews among friends if I can get a little bit in return.

It's not an easy issue. I don't think you want a strict charge every time they take a beer from your fridge. Better would be for them to pay you back in a non-cash fashion, e.g., buy you a case of beer every now and then, bring over food.

One thing you have to be conscious of is whether you're 'freeloading' in some other area. e.g., a friend invites you to his cottage for the weekend, or something like that.

If people don't know how much homebrew actually costs, they would logically assume that it costs next to nothing ("why else would someone go through the effort if it isn't any cheaper?")

Most people probably think the per bottle cost of BMC that sells for $15/case is a couple of cents for ingredients and 50 cents for marketing, so homebrew probably only costs a few cents per bottle without all that overhead. Everybody knows they can go to a restaurant and pay $35 for an 8 oz steak that they could get for $10/lb at the grocery store so why should beer be any different?

My friends and family usually bring something to snack on while we are drinking so it balances out. I also brew way too much to drink myself so I don't mind. Next time friends are coming over tell them to pick up some brats or something. They get the meat, you provide the beer.

Yeah, I'm with permo on this. I love to brew and I love my beer (well, most of it), but I really love sharing it with others. But even if I didn't brew my own, any guest in my house (friend, relative, etc...) is welcome to refreshment that I have on hand. That's just the way I am. For me, charging people for a beer is kinda.... tacky.

Now, if you have a limited supply brew (specialty, or the Pliny clone you spoke of), I can see holding that back a bit - I did that with an RIS that I only did 2.5 gallons of (first mistake) that took a year of aging. Not every Tom, Dick, and Harry got some.

Now, you mention they come by, hang out, and try the latest homebrew... That's one of the big reasons homebrewing is so cool to me - people make excuses to come by and hang out. I would LOVE it if more people did that.

So how do I handle freeloaders? I invite them in.

It's a social contract. I brew beer for all to consume. They bring wine, food, and their company and help me empty kegs.... which allows me to brew again.

I'd say you have a friend problem, not a beer problem! I find that my high-character friends that I offer homebrew to always get me back somehow, be it in buying me a beer or two out, bringing over food, etc. It's the lower-character friends that take take take and never give back.

If I have a big party or something, I put a donation jar on the keg. I'll typically recoup about 50-60% of the cost of the beer that way, which is par for the course.

The biggest thrill I get out of homebrewing is sharing it with others. I would never expect a guest to pay for beer. I wouldn't charge them for a meal either. If they bring something to share, that's great, but I don't expect it.

Lucky for me the only buddy I have that enjoys craft lives over 800 miles away. My brother/co brewer on the other hand lives 10 minutes away and loves it and I would give him my last beer on Earth if he came over.

This is the answer for all those threads "How can I get my BMC friends to change/What should I brew for BMC drinkers" Dont, and then you wont have these problems. I dont try to persuade anyone from their commercial stuff to craft. Just as I don't try to persuade McDonald eaters to rib eyes...

Ignorance is bliss!

All that being said I would openly share my homebrew with any guest. If I felt I was being taken advantage of or the favor wasn't returned on their end then their guest pass would expire.

I encourage all to drink my beer, and hell, half the time I make them help! payment for the free labor i guess?

Also, it encourages the consumption of good beer, forcing the industry to continue down the path of new and exciting beers! (no miller lite!)

I am usually on the other end where I owe my friends for whatever. Buying me drinks at the bar when I am broke or smoking me up. I'll bring em a mixed six pack. I am still bottling too. I might need to get rid of some to free up some bottles. So I am ok with it.

It is funny that people think it is growing on trees in my backyard or something. I defo put a lot of time and money into it but it's only because I enjoy it.

some of my friends want to buy my beer and I'm still brewing from kits and making Edworts cider! I obivously tell them no unless I get really good or am brewing a limited batch etc.... When I do tastings at my house I invite like-minded people and have them bring a 12 pack of their choosing and we all share they also bring snacks too which we share! I let them sampling some of my homebrew and if i'm feeling generous I give a couple people a bottle or two to take home!

Never ask your friends for money when they stop over for a brew. I agree with the others, ask your friends to bring something over that you can eat with the beer.

Ask your friends to help you out the next time you brew beer. I asked a friend to help me brew, now he's hooked. Now we can share.

In addition, whatever it takes to stop your friends from supporting the corporate breweries that make bunny piss that they call beer.

I host brew day parties at my house, and ask all my friends that are coming to bring a 6er or some bombers of their favorite. I figure they keep me drinking while I brew, so I can keep them drinking when the batch is ready.

Like most of the other responses, all my friends are more than welcome to help themselves. Definately one of the cool things about brewing, is the sharing.

If you are looking to make a buck or offset the cost a little, you can pick up a case of growlers then sell the growler and refills to 'buddies' at work. $6-8 for the glass then $5-10 for the fill depending on the brew. Cheaper than any brewpubs I've seen and you can get some of your costs back without feeling bad about charging your true friends for your brew!

Like most of the other responses, all my friends are more than welcome to help themselves. Definately one of the cool things about brewing, is the sharing.

If you are looking to make a buck or offset the cost a little, you can pick up a case of growlers then sell the growler and refills to 'buddies' at work. $6-8 for the glass then $5-10 for the fill depending on the brew. Cheaper than any brewpubs I've seen and you can get some of your costs back without feeling bad about charging your true friends for your brew!

Selling home brew is a no-no and a sure fire way to get this thread turned south quickly.

I'm not stingy with my beer at all. I bring kegs to yearly outings at other people's houses, and I've been more generous with my beer than any other good or service I have to offer.

But I have similar problems with my brother in-law. He never chips in, never brings his own, and has stopped asking before grabbing a glass and drinking (literally) five or six. Basically, he stops by the house on his way out to the bar so he can pre-game with free, quality beer. And I only have one tap, which means one beer at a time. I've tried telling him the keg is almost out and spitting foam, but he still grabs a glass and goes out to try.

It's a person problem, for sure. Other friends who brew are just as generous. And my non-brewing friends always have bottles in their fridge that they share freely. Sorry, it just seemed like a good time to rant about my brother in-law.

I give my homebrew away freely to anyone who cares to drink it. I have more of a problem with people not liking "Good" beer. However if/when the economy collapses and we return to a bartering society then... Well us homebrewers should be in a decent position ;)

Selling home brew is a no-no and a sure fire way to get this thread turned south quickly.

My apologies, I didn't mean sell to make a profit. I meant simply to ask for a donation or investment from those who enjoy the fruits of our labor of love. :fro:

I give my homebrew away freely to anyone who cares to drink it. I have more of a problem with people not liking "Good" beer. However if/when the economy collapses and we return to a bartering society then... Well us homebrewers should be in a decent position ;)

Well said Binaryc0de:mug:

I actually don't mind my friends drinking. I like brewing, and like brewing different beers. My girlfriend doesn't drink much, and I don't go through batches that fast. Sharing beer with friends really helps me get through the batches.

Yes, I love the brewing, the hanging, the drinking... I have made more friends when I started homebrewing... Weird. :)

People think homebrew is free because, at my house anyway, it is free. I am passionate about my beer, and love sharing the things about which I am passionate.

I assume you're talking about your friends, not just any guest that may be at your house. I have friends over almost every night, and it adds up quick because some of my beer, e.g., Pliny, was pretty expensive for me to make, as well... so I understand how you feel.

If it ever gets to the point that I feel like I'm being taken advantage of, I'll kindly ask them to give me a hand with a project or two. If they refuse or complain, then I bring up the fact that I'm happily giving them an awesome place to hang out and drink for free. It should never become an issue if you take the time/patience to talk about it.

That's what I do! :mug:

I have to say that I am on the opposite end of the coin. I offer unlimited free homebrew to all that visit my place.

That being said, I think a good way may be to explain to them and show them the process and the casually mention the price of hops, yeast, fermenters, grains...etc..etc...tell them it is quite time consuming and moderately expensive. Maybe they will then start to pitch in.

Usually what i tell my friends that come over is this: Look, i'm more than happy to supply the beer. I love making it, watching it turn from wort to beer, and consuming it because i know it's mine. You're certainly welcome to however much you want, but i've got one rule. "You kick the keg, you replace the ingredients".

All of my friends seem to be cool with that. In the end i think it will probably even out because once they've drank $20-30 worth of homebrew they will end up kicking the keg. And if I feel like i'm being cheated then i'll just pull all but one pint out of a keg that i know is about to go and hold off until one of my friends pull it out. Suckas! :ban::mug::rockin:

Well, giving away homebrew and having your friends and family enjoy it is part of the fun.

Also, it's better than the alternative: charging them for it and getting yourself either a) arrested/fined, or b) perceived as a tool by your peers

As long as they return the empties, I am happy to give it away! ;)

One friend drinks almost 100% of the Apfelwein I produce. He gives me empties, I give him full ones. Oddly enough, we're both happy! He reciprocates in many other ways, paying for the odd drink or coffee out, and it makes me happy to give so much joy. I brought a sample of my most recent Summer Ale to some friends, because I couldn't honestly tell whether it was good or not and wanted a 2nd opinion. They raved about it. Wish I made more than 2.5 gal of it. I was feeling on top of the world from their reaction all weekend.

Some of my friends offer constantly to foot the bill for a whole batch because my homebrew has been so well accepted. I have yet to accept the deals because the one ingredient I cannot buy is the TIME to do it so I can never promise a delivery.

Usually what i tell my friends that come over is this: Look, i'm more than happy to supply the beer. I love making it, watching it turn from wort to beer, and consuming it because i know it's mine. You're certainly welcome to however much you want, but i've got one rule. "You kick the keg, you replace the ingredients".

All of my friends seem to be cool with that. In the end i think it will probably even out because once they've drank $20-30 worth of homebrew they will end up kicking the keg. And if I feel like i'm being cheated then i'll just pull all but one pint out of a keg that i know is about to go and hold off until one of my friends pull it out. Suckas! :ban::mug::rockin:

Russian Roulette with a tap - I like it! That said, I'd instigate another rule. You kick it, you buy the ingredients AND assist in the brewing of the next batch! Then you grow the hobby and they get to get involved beyond consumption!

That's the "unspoken" part of the deal actually. The problem is that holding someone captive for a 6 hour brew day is difficult. They are always welcome during brew day, Lord knows that dang 10 gallon pot is really really heavy. I'm not willing to put a hole in it yet though.

I now keep 4 beers on tap and 1 is always the free beer. The other 3 are for me and my wife. The friends can try the other beers, but only the freebie is free range.

Typically, my free beer is one of the following:

Hef
Belgian White
Pale Ale

I can make 5.5 gallon batches of these for under $10.

They can drink all of that they want.

Eventually when I have more fermenters and am kegging I would do a buy me the ingredients type of thing just to be able to brew more and get that experience. I am going to have to arrange a tasting pretty soon.

TheWeeb said:
I have never asked for money from them, yet homebrew is NOT free, and some of the more extreme ones probably cost $2-$3 per pint in ingredients alone, let alone the time and energy and equipment that went into it (a recent Pliny clone and the present Noble IPA each used over a pound of hops in five gallons).

You need to start buying your hops and grain elsewhere. Even these more expensive beers should be costing you less than a buck per pint.

You could also save some cash by propagating your yeast.

I don't mind sharing some homebrew, but I usually politely suggest that people bring a six-pack to share if I'm having a gathering. Then I really don't mind sharing some homebrew since my friends usually bring some pretty good beer :)

Back