Mead Day '06!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Jewbeard

Reaction score
Ahoy All!

By way of preparation for this year's Festivities, I wonder...

If ye be makin' a Mead, what recipe do ye plan to use?

I also wonder...

Ifn' ye be near to the Port o' Baltimore (or the inland haven o' Columbia), would ye care to join me f'r a day o' mead-makin' and celebratin'?

Query the third...

Why the hell does mead make me think pirate? It's about as far from pirate as you can get... oh well, I think it's just on the brain...

P funky said:
Ahoy All!

By way of preparation for this year's Festivities, I wonder...

If ye be makin' a Mead, what recipe do ye plan to use?

I also wonder...

Ifn' ye be near to the Port o' Baltimore (or the inland haven o' Columbia), would ye care to join me f'r a day o' mead-makin' and celebratin'?

Query the third...

Why the hell does mead make me think pirate? It's about as far from pirate as you can get... oh well, I think it's just on the brain...

It makes me think Viking, but I don't know how to imitate Vikingspeak. I'm going to brew another mead soon. I'm pretty sure that next year when I get to sample my mead, I might like it a lot and be pissed at myself for not having the foresite to make sure that another batch was available for when this one ran out.

I'm thinking about making a smallish batch to start. I have a couple of 3 gallon carboys that are sitting unused; I'm thinking mead and cider.

Nice, nice. Just a straight mead?

I'm thinking a sweeter mead, so 15lbs honey- 12 lbs Clover/Orange blossom (whatever's available), 3 lbs Buckwheat. Should add a bit of "mystery" to the batch.

I just bottled a 1gal batch I started back in February. I used the Joe's ancient Orange and changed the recipe a little. 2 months in primary, 2 in secondary, then I bottled it for aging for another month or so before I crack open the first bottle. I took the SG at bottling and it was 1.082. Tasted good and strong too. This is my first batch, so not sure if this high OG is normal or not. Already considering a 3-5gal batch to start in the next month or so.

Jester4176 said:
...I took the SG at bottling and it was 1.082. Tasted good and strong too. This is my first batch, so not sure if this high OG is normal or not. Already considering a 3-5gal batch to start in the next month or so.
You bottled at 1.082? Man, have you had any bottle grenades yet? My mead SGs are closer to 0.996!

So I should expect my Grolsch bottles to explose at any moment? Should I rack back into another container for another few months? There was no airlock activity when I bottles, and it was nice and clear. All the sediment had dropped out, and I thought it was done. Risk the bottle bombs, or let it continue to ferment? Those unfamiliar with the Joe's recipe can view it here:

http://www.gotmead.com/component/option,com_rapidrecipe/page,viewrecipe/recipe_id,118/Itemid,161/

It's a quick mead, which says to bottle in 2 months. I let it run for 4 and thought it would be safe. I know meads can take years to ferment out, but it's listed as a quick mead for the novice(read: me). So re-rack and let ferment some more, or just drink it up before they explode? It's very drinkable now, although it has more of a dessert wine flavor than anything else. Sweet, and not to be consumed in mass quantities.

Latest posts

Back