Summer Blonde Ale hop times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmicJam

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be brewing a summer blonde ale for some non craft beer drinkers. Malt bill so far is

95% Vienna malt
5% CaraRed

Using Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

For the hops I'm thinking of a noble like hop for bittering (Hersbrucker). But I'm wondering about later flavour and aroma adittions. I have 0.5oz of Amarillo I am thinking of using but not sure if it would be best used at 15-20mins or at 0-5mins. The other hop addition will be hersbrucker, again, to take the place that the amarillo isn't used. Is that confusing?

So either

1oz Hersbrucker 60mins
.5oz Amarillo 15mins
.5oz Hersbrucker 0mins

OR

1oz Hersbrucker 60mins
.5oz Hersbrucker 15mins
.5oz Amarillo 0mins

Or maybe I should forget about the Amarillo and just go all german hops? I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Two thoughts -

1. Its not going to be Blonde with Vienna malt as the base. It could be a fine tasting beer, but if you're hoping to give your bmc-drinking friends a Blonde beer, I don't think this will do it.

2. As for your question about hops, you might think about what you are looking for - do you want a light beer that is easy for your bmc-drinking friends to access? If yes, then I might consider going with the all German hop schedule. This style calls for modest bittering, hop flavor and aroma.

Back