Rogue Old Crustacean Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpha_acid

Reaction score
Rogue Old Crustacean Barley Wine
From a famous clone book:

OG: 1.090-1.094
FG 1.019-1.024
IBU 100

Mini Mash:
2lb 2-row
10oz 120*L US crystal
10oz US Munich malt
30z US chocolate malt
Steep at 150*F for 20 min

@60 min
4lb pale malt syrup
5.5 lb M&F light DME
2oz Chinook (14%AA)
@15 min
1oz Centennial
1 tsp irish moss
@5 min
1 oz Centennial

Now my issue is that this does not seem like enough hops!

Arriving today I’ll have at least a pound each of Chinook, Cascade, Columbus, and Amarillo and I want to make a blow your face off hop monster barely wine.
Any suggestions?

If you are wanting a hop monster barelywine then you could dry hop in the secondary. Maybe 2oz of Cascade?

The Old Crustacean is a very malty barelywine and not overly hoppy at all.

If you are wanting a hop monster barelywine then you could dry hop in the secondary. Maybe 2oz of Cascade?

The Old Crustacean is a very malty barelywine and not overly hoppy at all.

Any suggestions for a good hoppy barely wine?

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
Good suggestion I found this one but it only has 4oz of hops

Beer Name: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barley Wine (based on North American Clonebrews recipe)

Grains: 1 lb pale

1 lb 45L Crystal. Steeped/mashed at 150 deg. for ~ 1 hour.

Malt Extract: 6 lbs Amber LME

6 lbs Gold LME

1.5 lbs Light DME

Hops: 1 oz Nugget 12.1 %AA (90 min)

1 oz Cascade 5.4% AA (90 min)

1 oz Cascade 5.4% AA (dry hop)

1 oz Centennial 9.7% AA (dry hop)

Misc.: Aerated with pure O2 for 1 min 45 sec. Used 5 gallons of water from Cub.

Yeast: Harvested yeast from SNPA above. See this Yeast Wash page. Wyeast 1056.

Added 1 pack dry Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast into secondary with dry hops. Rehydrated for 15 min in 3 oz of 105 deg. water, per instructions.

Notes:

03/27/04 Well, so far so good. I wanted to get up to 1.100 and I hit it right on. After 1 hour of pitching the yeast slurry, I had a bubble in the blow-off bucket. Hours later, it had some bubbles forming on the surface. About 12 hours later it had 1" krausen. So I'd say that whatever I did at least I got an adequate amount of yeast in the batch. I have high hopes for this batch.

04/11/04 Sweet, edgy taste. Alcohol warmth. Bitter finish. Not quite done fermenting, tasted yeast? Maybe from dry yeast I just added. Alcohol nose too but that is to be expected as it is so young. 9% alc so far. Happy with gravity I guess. Would love it to ferment a little more with champagne yeast I just added. Good start.

06/19/04 Readings at 65: 1.028, 3.6, 7. So it fermented a touch more. 9.4% alc. Original BW is 9.6 so close enough. I believe I used Cub water for this so with that considered, the FG is pretty decent.

Taste is very, very nice. In fact, as it stands right now it seems to be dead on with the original -- deeply bitter with a firm malt backbone. Wonderful stuff already. Don't think it will ferment any more so I'll bottle it soon.

07/22/04 Cracked first 6 oz bottle after 3 weeks of carbonating and it was carbonated. Taste was great, if a bit smoother than when bottling. At bottling time it was deeply bitter and tasted just like BFBW. Should age nicely.

01/16/05 Did a side by side with the real thing. It's actually very close. Mine has a little more hop aroma but the real one is a little cleaner and crisper in taste. Both have similar bitterness, mouthfeel, and overall impression. I'm very pleased with this recipe and how mine turned out.

from
http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/Beer_Log2004.htm

+1

4oz (2 of with are high AA) sounds about right. You can always taste and adjust some after the secondary.
1 oz Nugget 12.1 %AA (90 min)

and 2 oz dry hop

Still doesn't seem that hoppy
I might add some at 15 and some at flame out

1 oz Nugget 12.1 %AA (90 min)

and 2 oz dry hop

Still doesn't seem that hoppy
I might add some at 15 and some at flame out

The 90 minute addition will give you the bitterness to balance the beer. You do have 1 oz Centennial 9.7% AA (dry hop) which should give you some real perceivable hop flavor. Add another oz if you want.

Back