Campden Tablet question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whistlepig

Reaction score
I used one campden tb to stop fermentation. That was 3 days ago and its still fermenting away. Can I use another tab in the same batch without any ill effects or is there a better way to stop fermentation ?

I used one campden tb to stop fermentation. That was 3 days ago and its still fermenting away. Can I use another tab in the same batch without any ill effects or is there a better way to stop fermentation ?

Yes add another. How many gallons did you add one to? Its suppose to be 1 per gallon.

i believe you need to use potassium sorbate with the campden tablet.
my pack of sorbate says to use 1/4 gram per litre of wine

I've made many wines, and I've never, ever had luck with stopping a fermentation once it's started. Campden definitely doesn't do it (some say it kills yeast, but it does not- wine yeast is not inhibited by sulfites, that is why we use campden in wine) and sorbate also won't kill yeast. Racking the cider and putting in cold storage will slow it down, but once it warms up it will restart.

What sulfites and sorbate do is to keep the yeast from reproducing. So, once the yeast is going, it's tough to stop. What I do is wait until it's done, add the sorbate and campden, and then wait three days and sweeten to taste. Fermentation won't restart, because the yeast can't reproduce. That's the only way I know of to have a sweeter cider.

Latest posts

Back