Is there a maximum amount of home made wine you are allowed to store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennachi

Reaction score
I may be wrong and it may differ by state but I thought I read somewhere it's legal to make up to 200 gallons of wine a year. Is this correct? If so, is there a limit to how much you can store? Say you didn't drink any, could you have 600 gallons in your basement after 3 years?

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes/delaware

allows the PRODUCTION of up to 200 gallons of beer or* 200 gallons of wine for personal consumption and removal from the home for personal or family use or club-sponsored events

doesn't say anything about a limit on storage

* not sure if you can make 200 gallons of each or of both. since they're separated, I would say it is each. at least that's what I would have my legal counsel argue if it ever went to court

I would agree with you but it seems unclear where production stops and storage begins. Does it have to be bottled? Can I continue to bulk age?

I am no where near 200 gallons, just interested

production begins at pitching the yeast; it ain't beer until the yeast hits the wort

and I don't think there's any way to enforce the 200 gallon limit. I would think law enforcement is more interested in those who try to sell their homebrew (state & feds want their tax $) or distill

There was a fairly heated thread on it a maybe year or so ago. Here's my smash and grab recount.

It was basically divided into two camps.
A: keep diligent records/logbooks and label everything. if it collects dust...leave it on.
B: f the police.

While it is hard to maintain when some homebrew was made any effort at records help. If someone really wants to make a stink they can and will.

I'm not too fussed, as I can make as much beer, wine, cider and mead as I like, so long as I don't distill. But I would assume from what I have read about State laws, each varies. But saying you can produce that much says nothing about storage. But to be fair, you would have to be putting on 3.5 gallons a week to be close to that. I make 5 Imperial Gallons about every two weeks or so. Even then, it means it is only about 130 gallons in a year. My maths may be a little off as it is getting late. But the long and the short, I wouldn't care less about storage. Just how much you make. And even then you probably wouldn't get close enough to care.

OP- There was a limit on beer of 30 gallons in all stages of production (pitch to bottle), but no limit on wine.

I believe the 30 gallon limit is no longer imposed on beer, or it could have been local (state) for me. Anyhow, a read of the Federal laws says 100/adult max 200 of Beer AND wine They are in separate sections of the Federal code. No limit on the time you can store, and I'm not sure about bulk aging, but wine is certainly done when bottled (ie out of production).

Now with that said, some states have a limit of 100 beer or wine (ie combined) and some are like the Feds - separate. I think in Missouri, it is 100 gallons of beer, wine and spirits combined are considered for home production - although you still have to have a Federal lisc for making spirits.

**** this is general research by me, and not an official legal opinion - consult lawyers and relative code ****

All good information, thank you everyone. I only have 50 gallons in bulk from this year and about 150 bottles.

OP, you are not drinking enough of your product... Don't stockpile it so much, live the good life and share your wine with fam and friends.

Good brewing to ya,

I'm def not stock piling. Half the bottles were started 2 years and I just got around to bottling this summer and the other half are only a year old.

I think in Texas it production and store up to 200 gallons. For each person the age of 21 and over in the house hold. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read that off a gov. Website somewhere. Either way 200 gallons is way more then I can produce at the moment.

I sent an inquiry to the TTB in April 2013 which may clarify some things. But you must check your state level as it will detail any specifics. I know at one point the state of AL was being limited to 15 gallons per quarter in stored product. It was going back to the table.

The question:
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 8:08 PM
To: TTB Internet Questions Subject: Home winemaker year limit inquiry

Can you clarify how the yearly limit for home winemaker is established--is it based off of the calendar year the ferment is initiated?

Thank you, xxxxxxx

-----------------------------------------

The response:
"The Federal Law and Regulation simply state a limit to the amount that you can produce per calendar year. It is always the winemaker’s decision as to when to declare the wine to be “produced” but in general I would recommend that the amount started to ferment each year and the amount declared as produced both be within the annual limit. Also keep in mind that the production must be in compliance with state and local laws so you will want to verify what limits may apply in your state and local area.

Sincerely,

Daryl L. Polley Technical Advisor National Revenue Center, Cincinnati Ohio Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau Phone: 877-882-3277 / Web Site www.ttb.gov"

It was basically divided into two camps.
A: keep diligent records/logbooks and label everything. if it collects dust...leave it on.
B: f the police.

While it is hard to maintain when some homebrew was made any effort at records help. If someone really wants to make a stink they can and will.

I am with camp C. If you have some one crawling up your anus throwing the book at you, you have been doing something wrong and they have been watching for a few years. :mug:

Back