HLT/BK switched W/ RIMS setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I would like to eventually go electric with my system

currently planning a 120V gas fired BK and HLT. RIMS controlled by PID and gas assist.

My eventual goal in a year or so(when i get 240 installed to the garage) would be the ability to run back to back 10 gallon batches.

basically looking at this setup but adding the RIMS circuit. What kind of power requirements 30 or 50 amp are needed. And has anyone seen this diagram with the RIMS integrated?

My backup plan is the be able to run solo batches all electric via the PID switch, And if running back to back keep the HLT's gas burner and manually hit the sparge temp.

Auberin-wiring1-a4-4500w-30h-e-stop.jpg

The version if this diagram I have has a RIMS tube wired in. In mine I use 3 PIDs - HLT, RIMS, and BK.

You've subbed to my build thread, check the 2nd post. That's the diagram I used. The only thing different is I substituted 4500w 240v elements for the 5500w 240v elements.

With these specs I am able to brew back to back batches, with the RIMS and 2 pumps running and remain under the 50a limit.

With 30a you won't be able to brew back to back.

5500w 240v = 22.9a
4500w 240v = 18.7a
2000w 240v = 8.3a

Running 2 5500w 240v elements at the same time plus RIMS will put you over 50a.
Running 2 4500w 240v elements at the same time plus RIMS will put you about 46a. About an amp or so for your pumps and you're still under the 50am.

In regard to the breakers in your build vs the fuses in the onle I posted. As I was planning on using the smaller box from Auber I am a bit nervous about having the breakers in the same spot.

The way you have it set up with the breakers in your CP does that take place of the spa panel breaker setup, OR is having the breakers in the CP in addition to the main GFCI in a spa panel?

Elfmaze said:
In regard to the breakers in your build vs the fuses in the onle I posted. As I was planning on using the smaller box from Auber I am a bit nervous about having the breakers in the same spot.

The way you have it set up with the breakers in your CP does that take place of the spa panel breaker setup, OR is having the breakers in the CP in addition to the main GFCI in a spa panel?

The breakers in the CP are in addition to the GFCI breaker in the spa panel. The GFCI handles the sum of the amperage and it's associated wiring. That is the of the breaker. Protect the wiring.

The individual circuits are then broken out on the terminal blocks and protected with the breakers in the panel.

Here is a diagram that P-J recently did for me. My system is a RIMS with a Mash Tun and Boil Kettle only. It is a No Sparge system and completely hard plumbed with tri-clamp fittings for clean in place. I plan to use a 50 Amp power supply because there will be times when I need to rum both heat elements and one pump at the same time for cleaning purposes. You may be able to use some of this diagram for your purposes. :mug:

I would like to eventually go electric with my system

currently planning a 120V gas fired BK and HLT. RIMS controlled by PID and gas assist.

My eventual goal in a year or so(when i get 240 installed to the garage) would be the ability to run back to back 10 gallon batches.

basically looking at this setup but adding the RIMS circuit. What kind of power requirements 30 or 50 amp are needed. And has anyone seen this diagram with the RIMS integrated?

My backup plan is the be able to run solo batches all electric via the PID switch, And if running back to back keep the HLT's gas burner and manually hit the sparge temp.

Auberin-wiring1-a4-4500w-30h-e-stop.jpg

Nautical Nonsense Brewing Co..jpg

Back