Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my newest one, blatently stealing TaylorInOK's tax stamp format. I'm limited to a black & white laser, hence the b&w image, but printed on patterned (antique) paper makes it look pretty smart. I don't know if it'll work on the low-res image, bit the QR code contains the recipe for 23L. To add to bottle, the brewery logo is centered on the cap; the front and back will then take on the proper orientation.

I'm note bottling until sunday, so I'm hoping the FG holds true (its been stable 2 days); otherwise I need to re-do the labels.

parallax%2520pale%2520ale.png

Bryan

EDIT: added advantage of this format is you can get 14 labels per sheet

I might try this type of design! It seems efficient... what's the image sizing for these? Any templates available?

I might try this type of design! It seems efficient... what's the image sizing for these? Any templates available?
I'm not at home, so I don't have the exact measurements, but the labels are somewhere between 18-20mm tall (0.7-0.78"), and nearly 8.5" wide. On a standard piece of letter paper, I can print 14 of these; leaving about a 1/2" margin around the page. I should add, these are for plastic bottles, so they may be a bit wide for a proper beer bottle.

As for a template, I do have one at home for adobe illustrator (its essentially the outlines, plus a box indicating the region where the cap will be - simply fill in, delete the guides, and print). I may be able to convert it to EPS (which most graphics programs will load); if the forum will support a file of that size, I'd be more than happy to upload it (&/or the adobe flie).

Bryan

I've tried to attach my templates, but due to size limitations had to zip them. Unfortunately, the board doesn't seem to accept ZIP files (or AI, EPS or other vector-formats).

The exact dimensions of the template are 18mm x 203mm (0.7086614173236" x 7.9921259842606"). Centered on it is markers for the cap - 25mm wide for pop bottle caps.

Bryan

"Slim's Own"*, an amber ale from RavenBrewWorks in Yreka, CA was made from a Home Brewer's Outpost kit, and is still in the primary fermenter, but that didn't stop me from designing and ordering labels!

*So-named for my musical alter ego, Slim Jimsøhn, a mythical guitar picker who lives in Yreka, CA.

Scott Hunter, Oakland, CA

Slim's Own 2.jpg

Currently have an IRA Fermenting and was thinking of a catchy name....
This is what I came up with using Paint.:p

zed (1).jpg

SpringLizardBottleLabel.jpg

Brewed as a going-away present for a brewing buddy who's moving back up north. A "spring lizard" is southern for salamander.

Thanks!

Next up: A pale ale label for an APA that we brewed during the transit of Venus earlier this year.

PenumbraPaleAleBottleLabel.jpg

I am loving your labels!!! All unique, yet carrying a consistent theme/style. Very professional and well done. I could easily see a cluster of these on the shelf at my beer store. :ban:

These were my first go-round last Christmas. Made a 'Sibling Sampler' as part of our sibling gift exchange. Could definitely use more time on the ol' editing software (and better editing software!)...

EDIT: I JUST SAW, AFTER POSTING, THAT THIS WAS MY 100TH POST! Small potatoes for many of you, but my first milestone. :)

Stone Dragon.jpg

These were my first go-round last Christmas. Made a 'Sibling Sampler' as part of our sibling gift exchange. Could definitely use more time on the ol' editing software (and better editing software!)...

EDIT: I JUST SAW, AFTER POSTING, THAT THIS WAS MY 100TH POST! Small potatoes for many of you, but my first milestone. :)

This is a really cool idea. What if you were able to 'crisp' up the images. etc??? Would lend a more professional finish to the product.... :mug:

This is a really cool idea. What if you were able to 'crisp' up the images. etc??? Would lend a more professional finish to the product.... :mug:

Thanks (I included a sheet with descriptions of each beer, as well). Yeah, it could definitely be crisper; the main dragon is a photo of a ceramic wall plaque my dad made. I'm trying to figure out Gimp now, to try and sharpen things a bit, and make it all crisper. I think my color printer may bear some responsibility, too--but we'll see. I don't see any shape creation tools in Gimp, though? (but getting off-topic on that).

OK; finally really sat down with Gimp the last few evenings, and here are the labels I'll be putting in little 3.5 x 5" magnetic frame holders over each tap handle on my new kegerator. Still not as amazing as a lot of the lables here, but a big step up from the 'sibling sampler':

Tap Label--Saison.jpg

Tap Label--Cream Ale.jpg

24b67up.jpg

This is my first label I've ever made. I'm not sure if this is what I will go with when the beer is finally done. I'll probably change the text to something on the right side that will be the same on all the beers I brew.. what I wrote on there now was just place holder.

Thought I would add my first label. The recipe is EdWort's Haus Ale, which I renamed to EdWort's Pale Ale to avoid confusion with my house ale.

edwort's pale ale.jpg

Very nice, what is the QR code on there?

Thanks for the feedback!

I added the QR code to make the label look more authentic, similar to a barcode on "real" beer labels. I was inspired to do this after seeing many labels in this very thread with the QR code. The little twist I put on my QR code, is that it pulls you to a google doc that asks for anonymous feedback on three things (flavor profile - hoppy to malty, body profile - light to heavy, and overal impression - undrinkable to perfect). I wanted to keep it short and sweet while at the same time providing some valuable feedback, especially from non-brewers or beer enthusiasts!

The little twist I put on my QR code, is that it pulls you to a google doc that asks for anonymous feedback on three things (flavor profile - hoppy to malty, body profile - light to heavy, and overal impression - undrinkable to perfect). I wanted to keep it short and sweet while at the same time providing some valuable feedback, especially from non-brewers or beer enthusiasts!
This is a cool idea - I use QR codes to encode the recipe, but your idea would be far more meaningful to a broader range of people!

I may have to steal it!

Bryan

kaz4121 said:
Thanks for the feedback!

I added the QR code to make the label look more authentic, similar to a barcode on "real" beer labels. I was inspired to do this after seeing many labels in this very thread with the QR code. The little twist I put on my QR code, is that it pulls you to a google doc that asks for anonymous feedback on three things (flavor profile - hoppy to malty, body profile - light to heavy, and overal impression - undrinkable to perfect). I wanted to keep it short and sweet while at the same time providing some valuable feedback, especially from non-brewers or beer enthusiasts!

That is a great idea for the QR code!

This is a cool idea - I use QR codes to encode the recipe, but your idea would be far more meaningful to a broader range of people!

I may have to steal it!

Bryan

Be my guest. I'm glad I could contribute! I always am looking for honest feedback since I sometimes feel that friends and family are just saying that it is "good" because I made it.

Here is my sample google doc form for that particular beer:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHVlN1Jqcy1nUlNLZEFhakhqbUpVNkE6MQ

you can shorten the URL for free through tinyurl.com. My was shortened to

http://tinyurl.com/tl-edwortspaleale

I've started kegging, so now I have to do double-duty on the labels :( For my blue-moon clone, kegged on friday:
Bottle (QR code is the recipe):
La%2520Lune%2520Bleu.jpg

Tap handle:
La%2520Lune%2520Bleu%2520-%2520Tap.jpg

Bryan

Back