one step or easy clean?..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelsbrew

Reaction score
(carlson- easy clean) is 10.00 cheaper than (one step)...is there enough difference in the two to spend onother 10.00 for the one step....both 5lb bucket,i love using something that requires no rinsing but will the easy clean leave a bleach film in my beer bottles...thanks allot

(carlson- easy clean) is 10.00 cheaper than (one step)...is there enough difference in the two to spend onother 10.00 for the one step....both 5lb bucket,i love using something that requires no rinsing but will the easy clean leave a bleach film in my beer bottles...thanks allot

I prefer a cleaner like generic oxyclean- a tub is $1 at the Dollar Store. Then I use star-san or Iodophor for sanitizing.

Easy clean and One step are both "one step cleaners" that are supposed to be able to sanitize, too, but are not actually recognized as sanitizers. I've used One Step in the past (and still have a big tub of it) but now use star-san for sanitizing.

Wolud it not be aesier to clean and sanitize in one shot? or is that method not to be trusted...lol thanks agian yooper

Wolud it not be aesier to clean and sanitize in one shot? or is that method not to be trusted...lol thanks agian yooper

It'd be easier, for sure. But not effective!

Clean is clean- no visible dirt or anything on the equipment. Sanitized means to kill microbes. You simply can't sanitize something that isn't clean- it must be cleaned before it's sanitized.

So, "one step" really is a misnomer as you can't really sanitize something that isn't already clean.

I love the safeway brand oxiclean for its cleaning ability, but I would not want something like that in my beer (It does not taste good)! I like being able to rinse it off and then use a no-rinse sanitizer.

ok i get it,clean than sanitize..,can i clean,let dry,and than sanitize a few days later when ready to brew or bottle?

ok i get it,clean than sanitize..,can i clean,let dry,and than sanitize a few days later when ready to brew or bottle?

Right. I clean my equipment when I put it away, using one-step or oxyclean or something until it's completely clean. Soaking a dirty carboy overnight works wonders! Then I rinse and put away. I sanitize right before using the equipment.

Latest posts

Back