To purge or not to purge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeletonkrew

Reaction score
Last night I transferred from secondary fermenter to keg. I started bottling a 12 pack using prime dose tabs and my blichman beer gun. Without thinking I purged the bottles with co2 and filled. But only 6 bottles ,the other 6 I just filled with beer. I'm wondering if the first six bottles will have trouble carbonating. Any advice?

The tabs are what makes it carb. I'm assuming the purging is probably to reduce oxidation, so you'll be fine.
On another note: How do you like those tabs? I used them once, but was not impressed. Too much sediment and added a bit of sweetness (seemed more than normal priming sugar) YMMV of course.

Cool, but is it "better" to purge? I know it's good to purge when bottling pre carbonated beer
But with priming, doesn't the yeast in the beer and the yeast in the prime dose tabs need some oxygen to carbonate? Just curious. The experiment has already been done I will find out in two weeks. Fyi, this is an American wheat beer.

This is my first time using the tabs. I have heard rave reviews though. And I hate using priming sugar I usually force carbonate

Better? I don't know. Perhaps, but my guess is that any benefit from purging the bottle with CO2 is likely to be trivial at best.

Keep in mind that when filling correctly, that is, using a bottling wand or siphon hose and filling from the bottom up, any oxygen already in the bottle will be pushed out as the liquid rises.

FYI: The tabs are sugar. No yeast as far as I know. But let us know your review. Its basically priming sugar/DME that has been compacted into a pill form

Yes , "Prime Dose" tabs also have yeast, a patented blend of dry yeasts with sugar. I will post the results. so far, its way easier than mixing priming sugar , and helps reduce exposure to oxygen while bottling.

Groovy. I was thinking about the Munton carb tabs. Didn't know there was a different. Good deal

Latest posts

Back