Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How late can you add it? I did a 2000ml starter and the fermentation is bonkers after only 24 hours! I assume I just figure out how many points I wanna add and add the appropriate amount of DME boiled in a small amount of liquid.

Sorry for the late response. I've been without Internet for a while. I'd say as long as it is sanitary you can add it any time prior to secondary.

Haven't made this beer in a few years. A tasty treat as always.

ForumRunner_20130621_191531.png

I made this beer in the middle of April, kegged it, drank it and enjoyed it. When I kegged it I had about a gallon left over so I primed it, bottled it and stuck it on a shelf and forgot about it. Last week I came across it as I was rearranging my brew room so I threw a couple of bottles in the fridge. I know it goes against conventional wisdom, but this IPA tastes even better after three months than it did fresh in the keg. As much as I don't like to bottle, I may have to make this one again and bottle the whole batch.

It's all up to your personal tastes. I like it a lot fresher, but whatever you like is the right thing to do!

I liked it fine fresh; the keg didn't last long. There was just something "different" about the bottled version. Maybe the rye just stood out some more because the hops had faded a bit, I don't know. I usually like really fresh IPAs. I have another bottle in the fridge and a few bombers in the brew room. I probably need to do some more "research."

Just dumped 10.5 gallons into the fermenter. My wife asked me if she would like it, and I said "of course you will" -- poor girl...

Thanks for the recipe.

Brewed this yesterday! Many firsts in this batch. 1. First recipe from a post. 2. First use of hop bags for all additions. 3. First and last time I will not use a strainer when transferring to fermenter. (Hop bags helped but I still need to filter). 4. First time buying and crushing my own grains without a kit. 5. First time using an 8.5 gallon kettle. Pretty excited to taste the final product. Should turn out fine, but many lessons learned.

Add me to the list of brewers brewing this up. First time brewing with rye, cant wait to see how it comes out. I was originally going to clone Sierra Nevadas ruthless rye, but stumbled on this recipie and saw all the rave reviews. Got my starter spinning away right now. Malts smelled great on the way home so I'm excited.

I did have a question about the water profile. Any suggestions other then just a heaping teaspoon of gypsum? I'm building it up from all R.O. Water.

Thanks for the reply!

I built my water up for a balanced profile (brewer's friend calc) from R.O. and then I saw your reply so I added more gypsum. I'm still a bit green when it comes to building water, mine will be a little off from adding baking soda. Do my finals look ok?

Ca 135
Mg 0
Na 40
SO4 233
Cl 67
HCO3 101

Should be fine, I think! HCO3 is a little higher, but I don't think it'll be a problem. Martin or AJ, you out there?

Well thanks again for the feedback. I plan on brewing this again later since my brewday was a compleate disaster... I'll be sure to dial in the numbers you listed.

My sob story involves horrible efficiancy (I think I was shorted grain), a broken thermometer, a stuck sparge (I think my filter broke and sucked a grain in, I still have to take it apart and figure out what happened), and a broken thermostat in the mash tun...

I'm gonna let it ferment out becuase why not. But at 1.062 starting gravety it's not gonna be a Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA. I'll label it 13ONK's abomination of Denny Conn's Wry Smile, haha. I'll probably save my dry hops for the next go round too.

Just brewed this recipe up yesterday! Very excited.

I didn't modify the water, and we have quite soft water here, so we'll see how that goes.

Sorry to hear about your tribulations! Better luck next time around!

Even with everything gone arye (hehe) this still seems to be coming around just fine. The samples I've taken have all been delicious. I know I'll enjoy the final product. It's totally on my re-brew list, can't wait to come back around to it. Thanks again for the recipe and your feedback.

:mug:

Even with everything gone arye (hehe) this still seems to be coming around just fine. The samples I've taken have all been delicious. I know I'll enjoy the final product. It's totally on my re-brew list, can't wait to come back around to it. Thanks again for the recipe and your feedback.

:mug:

de nada

whats the recommended mash temp for this recipe, using dennys 50 yeast?

Wow! Ok, thats what I will be doing..... I was thinking it would have been lower, around 149. Thanks for the reply, looking forward to brewing this over the weekend :mug:

Greg Doss at Wyeast presented a research paper that showed that maximum fermentability is obtained at 153F. While it's only a single data point, the info is compelling.

Denny,

I wanted to let you know that I brewed this Sunday night.
Here are some firsts you might like to hear (this was my second batch of beer ever):

1. First AG (ok, well BIAB, but still AG)
2. First batch to use my diy 50ft immersion chiller and pre-chiller
3. First batch to use my custom burner assy.
4. First batch to go into my diy fermentation chamber
5. Will be the first batch for me to keg :ban:

I'd say I broke in all the new equipment the right way!

I hit the recipe to a T -- used WY1450 Denny's in a 2L starter

My lhbs had everything I needed -- but a couple questions:

The Columbus was 15.2AA and the Mt. Hood was 5.4AA - I guess the different years change that slightly - will this affect the finished IBU's much?

My preboil SG was around 1.050 (not temp corrected with much accuracy)
My post-boil, post-chill, temp-corrected OG was 1.070 with only about 5.1 gallons making it to the fermenter. I settled for a little less volume to make it BIAB in my 8.8 gallon BK. The calculators I've used after the fact make it look like my Brewhouse efficiency was only around 58% ( which is about what I expected for BIAB my first time out. I kept it at 153 the whole time) Does this seem right?

I also saw that you keg hop often. I bought an extra ounce of columbus for this -- I seem to remember reading that you dry hop in primary 1oz and keg hop 1oz.

I know the debate on secondary is vigorous, but I was gonna secondary this one with 1oz and toss 1oz in the keg (in a bag?) too. Does this sound good?

Sorry for the novel.
Thanks!

Denny,

I wanted to let you know that I brewed this Sunday night.
Here are some firsts you might like to hear (this was my second batch of beer ever):

1. First AG (ok, well BIAB, but still AG)
2. First batch to use my diy 50ft immersion chiller and pre-chiller
3. First batch to use my custom burner assy.
4. First batch to go into my diy fermentation chamber
5. Will be the first batch for me to keg :ban:

I'd say I broke in all the new equipment the right way!

I hit the recipe to a T -- used WY1450 Denny's in a 2L starter

My lhbs had everything I needed -- but a couple questions:

The Columbus was 15.2AA and the Mt. Hood was 5.4AA - I guess the different years change that slightly - will this affect the finished IBU's much?

My preboil SG was around 1.050 (not temp corrected with much accuracy)
My post-boil, post-chill, temp-corrected OG was 1.070 with only about 5.1 gallons making it to the fermenter. I settled for a little less volume to make it BIAB in my 8.8 gallon BK. The calculators I've used after the fact make it look like my Brewhouse efficiency was only around 58% ( which is about what I expected for BIAB my first time out. I kept it at 153 the whole time) Does this seem right?

I also saw that you keg hop often. I bought an extra ounce of columbus for this -- I seem to remember reading that you dry hop in primary 1oz and keg hop 1oz.

I know the debate on secondary is vigorous, but I was gonna secondary this one with 1oz and toss 1oz in the keg (in a bag?) too. Does this sound good?

Sorry for the novel.
Thanks!

Good on ya! I always shoot for the correct OG rather than volume. I boil until I hit OG, then add my finishing hops. This gets you the beer you want, although you may have to boil a bit more.

For hops, adjust the amount of any bittering addition based on AA. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 oz. of 5% AA hops and your are 10%, you'd use 1/2 an oz. The exceptions to that rule are FWH or additions under 5 min. when it really doesn't matter much.

I've been doing some dry hopping experiments based on a recent Zymurgy article by Stan Hieronymous, author of the Hops book. In Zymurgy, he wrote about the interaction between yeast and hops and how it could produce really floral flavors. So I split a batch and dry hopped on half in primary and the other half on secondary. I found that the batch dry hopped in secondary had a much better and more "accurate" hop aroma compared to the one dry hopped in primary. So, these days I always go to a secondary for dry hopped beers. For this one, I do both the secondary and the keg, so your plan is spot on.

Denny, do you recommend adjusting the water for the boil or for the mash? I notice the gypsum is in the boil only, but I'm not sure about the other ingredients

My water is
Ca 26
Mg 35
Na 1
SO4 2.8
Cl 2.8
HCO3 27.3

Beersmith recommends for 6.75 gallons into the boil
Gypsum 10.1g
NaCl .4g
CaCl .6g
NaHCO3 .8g

For 8.4 gallons

Thanks!

Denny, do you recommend adjusting the water for the boil or for the mash? I notice the gypsum is in the boil only, but I'm not sure about the other ingredients

My water is
Ca 26
Mg 35
Na 1
SO4 2.8
Cl 2.8
HCO3 27.3

Beersmith recommends for 6.75 gallons into the boil
Gypsum 10.1g
NaCl .4g
CaCl .6g
NaHCO3 .8g

For 8.4 gallons

Thanks!

This is the profile to shoot for. I've been increasing the sulfate in the recipe and I like this...

Ca 119
Mg 7
Na 11
SO4 227
Cl 29
HCO3 52

It gets broken down like this....

Mineral Additions Mash (g) Sparge (g)
Gypsum . 7.8 4.0
Epsom Salt 0.0 0.0
Canning Salt 0.0 0.0
Baking Soda 0.0
Calcium Chloride 1.4 0.7
Chalk . 0.0
Pickling Lime 0.0
Mag Chloride 0.0 0.0

Just brewed this yesterday, did a 6.25 gal batch. Nailed it at 1.074!

I ran into a problem (which I have had a few times) trying to do my whirlpool chill (new chiller/pump). Could not get a prime going to do the whirlpool, so just did a chill without whirlpool.

When I transferred into my fermentor, I was blown away by the amount of break/hop material. There must be a good 2-3" of trub at the bottom of my fermentor.... Is this pretty normal for this brew? Out of curiosity, I am wondering if doing a whirlpool chill helps a ton in keeping this out from the fermentor

IMG_1168.jpg

Just brewed this yesterday, did a 6.25 gal batch. Nailed it at 1.074!

I ran into a problem (which I have had a few times) trying to do my whirlpool chill (new chiller/pump). Could not get a prime going to do the whirlpool, so just did a chill without whirlpool.

When I transferred into my fermentor, I was blown away by the amount of break/hop material. There must be a good 2-3" of trub at the bottom of my fermentor.... Is this pretty normal for this brew? Out of curiosity, I am wondering if doing a whirlpool chill helps a ton in keeping this out from the fermentor

What kind of pump do you have? March pumps, for instance, are not self priming and the inlet must be below the outlet of your kettle. In addition, you may need some way to vent the air out of the pump.

Couple questions on this:

I brewed this up to the specs listed, came out with 1.074 on the money, and its been fermenting with dennys fav yeast for the past 9 days.... Wondering what y'all have been getting as the final gravity? Beersmith is estimating this to come in at 1.018. I am thinking of pulling a sample tonight, and if its at the end, I would like to dry hop.. I would like to shoot for a 3 week, grain to glass brew...

Dry hop question: 1 oz seems a bit light handed for an IPA, at least compared to what I have done in the past.. I was thinking of bumping it up to 2 oz.. Any input on this, or should I just stick with the 1 oz? I am pretty much a hop head

Thanks for sharing!

Couple questions on this:

I brewed this up to the specs listed, came out with 1.074 on the money, and its been fermenting with dennys fav yeast for the past 9 days.... Wondering what y'all have been getting as the final gravity? Beersmith is estimating this to come in at 1.018. I am thinking of pulling a sample tonight, and if its at the end, I would like to dry hop.. I would like to shoot for a 3 week, grain to glass brew...

Dry hop question: 1 oz seems a bit light handed for an IPA, at least compared to what I have done in the past.. I was thinking of bumping it up to 2 oz.. Any input on this, or should I just stick with the 1 oz? I am pretty much a hop head

Thanks for sharing!

Ideally it should finish around 1.013. Don't trust Beersmith or any other software to predict FG.

2 oz. of dry hops is fine.

+1, do two oz for the dry hop, If your a hop head, you will be glad you did. I did a rye IPA and didn't dry hop but wished I did, I could tell it could have handled the two ounces very easily.

So I'm brewing the rye IPA this weekend got all ingredients except the homebrew store was out of Columbus so I got chinook instead. How does everyone think this will turn out? Everything about the recipe will be the same except that. I know it will be a different beer than Denny intended. I have brewed with chinook before and enjoy the flavor so I don't see how it could be bad right?

Like you say it will be different. The recipe is kinda built around the Columbus. That said, although different, I think Chinook could be a damn good stand in!

so long story short…the fermenter lid popped off slightly cause I had my blow off tube clamped for some stupid reason. just caught this today and I brewed this on sat. only one side of the lid came up so do you think everything is still ok after 5 days? worried about air getting in. not sure when this happened cause its at a friends house. again long story short, any feed back would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back