Co2 regulator problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KVP

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Anyone have trouble like I am with my Co2 regulator?
For a long time it's been fine, but lately it's started to creep up on it's own.
I'll back it down again and it will be up a few psi when I see it a few days later.

How has the temperature in the room been? If its been getting hotter then the pressure in the cylinder will increase too.

Is the regulator on the inside or the outside of the fridge?

Because when it is inside the fridge, DON'T trust it!

Outside the fridge.
It's been stable for years but now is not.

It wasn't but is now since the regulator creeped up.
So I shut of the valves to the kegs and turned the regulator back.
I'd wait till the kegs ran low on pressure before turning the valves back on.
Yes I have a valve on each keg Co2 line.
Meanwhile I'd see the regulator psi creep up even when it wasn't flowing.

How many bodies on the regulator? If just one, you might want to inspect it inside. It's not uncommon for a stray particle (usually teflon tape used in it's assembly) to get loose inside and get onto/into the diaphragm that controls the CO2 out pressure. If it's a dual body, and only happens to one body, then that's even more likely the case. It could, also, be that some beer got pushed back up into the body and is causing the issue. A good cleaning inside the regulator body should take care of that. Install check valves before the regulator to prevent it in the future.

BTW, did you get this as a brand new regulator or used? Brand/make of the regulator? I've had best results with Taprite regulators for carbonating/serving. I also have a Leland, but that's used (mostly) to simply push beer from fermenter to serving kegs (or aging kegs).

Sounds like the diaphram in the regulator is leaking. Maybe at one time some beer backed up into it, interfered with the internal seal? If the creep isn't coming from back pressure off the keg then the regulator must be faulty. At this point live with it or do something about the reg. Possibly take it apart inspect and clean, or maybe a rebuild. Worst case scenario new regulator.

It is a Taprite and I do have check valves.
I've never had one of these apart.
I'll give it a try.

Golddiiggie you're definitely a Taprite believer. Just wondering why? I bought the standard issue regs from KegConnection. Taprite was the upgrade and I'm cheap.

Do the Taprites last longer? More precision? Just curious.

Golddiiggie you're definitely a Taprite believer. Just wondering why? I bought the standard issue regs from KegConnection. Taprite was the upgrade and I'm cheap.

Do the Taprites last longer? More precision? Just curious.

Had one of their house brand dual body regulators. Was great for a couple of months then the second body had serious PSI creep going on. Nothing I could do fixed it (check valves were in the regulator, and the manifolds from them). Replaced it with a Taprite (from Keg Connection) and haven't had ANY issue in almost a year now. I did have them change out the barbed shutoff valve on the Taprite with MFL versions so I could simply reuse my existing lines. I'm a HUGE proponent of using MFL fittings and swivel nuts on all lines/hoses in a kegging setup.

Basically, I think the Taprite are a higher quality regulator that gives me better control (like the gauges on them) and [IMO] will last a long time. I do have another regulator with a Taprite body. Had to get the diaphragm replaced on that due to squeal when connecting it to a keg and having it set above 15psi (for seating the lid on some of my kegs). Since then (about a year ago) it's also been just fine.

It is a Taprite and I do have check valves.
I've never had one of these apart.
I'll give it a try.

Did you get it brand new? If so, how long ago? If not, then can you contact the person/store you got it from?

Looks like you can get the rebuild kit for around $17. If it's the old style body (screw showing to adjust) then you just need to wrench the face off. :eek: Just take care to not bugger it up. Use a bench vise to hold the body when you do this too. Looks like the kit comes with instructions. :ban:

Had one of their house brand dual body regulators. Was great for a couple of months then the second body had serious PSI creep going on. Nothing I could do fixed it (check valves were in the regulator, and the manifolds from them). Replaced it with a Taprite (from Keg Connection) and haven't had ANY issue in almost a year now. I did have them change out the barbed shutoff valve on the Taprite with MFL versions so I could simply reuse my existing lines. I'm a HUGE proponent of using MFL fittings and swivel nuts on all lines/hoses in a kegging setup.

Basically, I think the Taprite are a higher quality regulator that gives me better control (like the gauges on them) and [IMO] will last a long time. I do have another regulator with a Taprite body. Had to get the diaphragm replaced on that due to squeal when connecting it to a keg and having it set above 15psi (for seating the lid on some of my kegs). Since then (about a year ago) it's also been just fine.

Thanks. I figured you were going to say something like that :D I probably should have spent the extra few dollars up front instead of being cheap, that kind of thing looks good at first but usually ends up biting you in the pocket book later on.

Well, I'm stuck now. Will just have to grin and bare it. I think you are correct and this cheap stuff will wear out sooner than later. Hopefully not all at the same time!

Thanks. I figured you were going to say something like that :D I probably should have spent the extra few dollars up front instead of being cheap, that kind of thing looks good at first but usually ends up biting you in the pocket book later on.

Well, I'm stuck now. Will just have to grin and bare it. I think you are correct and this cheap stuff will wear out sooner than later. Hopefully not all at the same time!

Cost was the reason I got the first dual body. It sounded good, looked good on paper, but didn't hold up for me. I might have gotten a bad one, but who really knows. I do know that the Taprite has been in service longer with solid performance.

I don't always go top of the line, but I almost never go below mid-grade. This is one of the times, IMO, that it pays to go top end, or at least in the same grouping. Although I don't know if there are any better than Taprite in the same price range (without getting into the commercial level for bars that cost several times more).

I wouldn't say taprite is top end, it's mid quality at best. If you look at norgren or other quality regulators that are top of the line they are close to $100 for a single body unit. I have a norgren that's at least 20 years old and it's my best regulator.

Back