5 Gallon Batches in Blichmann 55 Gallon Boilermaker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
I've been trying to find threads / YouTube videos of guys doing this. Basically, I want kettles that can grow with me and eventually, I'd like to do very large beer batches (nano-brewery) size so I'm wanting to go big or go home with pumps and a few boilermakers with a conical fermenter...all this stuff is months away so I'm doing research / budgeting now.

So, the question is, is it absolutely insane / not worth it / impossible to do 5 gallon batches in a 55 gallon Boilermaker if I simply move the thermometer down lower? I'd like to buy these now and then get the larger fementers to go with it later then start doing bigger batches.

:tank:

Don't know about absolutely insane, but seems like sticking with your current setup would be just as efficient until your ready to go with the bigger batches. But I see no reason it couldn't be done...That is a GIANT pot! :ban:

Don't know about absolutely insane, but seems like sticking with your current setup would be just as efficient until your ready to go with the bigger batches. But I see no reason it couldn't be done...That is a GIANT pot! :ban:

NO CRAP HAHA

Kettle_with_Todd.jpg

via

Do you know what level the thermometer is mounted at? I have a 15.5 gallon kettle that I do 5 gallon batches in, 15.25in D, and even with a full (6.5 gallon) boil its still got quite a bit of space to fill. Now if you compare that to the 55 gallon boiler makers 23.6in D it might put things into perspective. :) I never thought you could go too big lol!

Do you know what level the thermometer is mounted at? I have a 15.5 gallon kettle that I do 5 gallon batches in, 15.25in D, and even with a full (6.5 gallon) boil its still got quite a bit of space to fill. Now if you compare that to the 55 gallon boiler makers 23.6in D it might put things into perspective. :) I never thought you could go too big lol!

From that photo, looks like we're at the 10-15 gallon mark on the thermometer for that model shown.

I'd for sure have to move it.

From that photo, looks like we're at the 10-15 gallon mark on the thermometer for that model shown.

I'd for sure have to move it.

Ok I did the math, (roughly lol) and it looks like if you wanted to do a full boil with about 6.5 gallons you would fill roughly 3-4 inches of the pot. So it is possible, but it might look kinda funny!:tank:

Ok I did the math, (roughly lol) and it looks like if you wanted to do a full boil with about 6.5 gallons you would fill roughly 3-4 inches of the pot. So it is possible, but it might look kinda funny!:tank:

Haha. 4 inch depth of liquids. Insane. With that sort of surface area, that's a lot of evaporation that's possible so may have to boil more to account for that. Guess I won't have boil over anymore.

Haha. 4 inch depth of liquids. Insane. With that sort of surface area, that's a lot of evaporation that's possible so may have to boil more to account for that. Guess I won't have boil over anymore.

If you do, well..... :mug:

Yea you would for sure have to up your volumes due to evaporation. I find that even in my 15 gallon kettle I get quite a bit of evap in an hour. But I'd say do it haha :fro:

I'm assuming you are doing AG batches and this will be your BK for the time being. I'm thinking mashing for a 5 gal batch would be out of the question. You'd have basically no grain bed. You'd have huge heat losses, and you might risk scorching the mash if you tried to apply heat. Also, I can't see doing any extract batches. You'd have a tough time dissolving the extract and keeping it from sticking to the bottom. You would have a pretty shallow pool of wort. Just some thoughts.

As a BK, I wouldn't bother moving the thermometer. If you even care what temp the wort is in the BK, you can just use a hand held thermometer. You would need to make some type of siphon tubing to attach to the valve on the inside of the kettle, along with something to filter break material. I have to imagine based on where the valve is mounted, you are going to leave a couple of gallons of wort left in the kettle otherwise.

If you have the money for a 55 Boilermaker, just look around for a 48q tamale steamer. You can pick one up for <$30 and it'll handle 5 and 10 g batches no problem. Turkey fryer pots are cheap. You're going to want them for your pilot when you hit the nano stage anyway.

I think a 5G batch in a 55G pot might be overkill like others in this thread have said. I'm not sure if it would be detrimental but I don't think it's optimal either. Honestly, I think you're better off picking up a cheap 20Q pot if you're just starting out with all-grain. Spend the money that you would have spent on the blichman 55G on a fermentation chamber/freezer, aeration, and yeast starters. Those will actually vastly increase the quality and consistency of your beer.

So, the question is, is it absolutely insane / not worth it / impossible to do 5 gallon batches in a 55 gallon Boilermaker

Yes that would be ridiculous/insane/not worth it and probably near impossible with trub and losses toward the end/bottom of the pot. Get a few more carboys and start doing bigger batches! If you have all the equipment then why not brew more?? I went from 5 gal to 30 gallon batches and it's the best thing I ever did. I spend 2 more hours brewing and get 6x the amount of brew!!

Latest posts

Back