Steeping grains = long wait til hot break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since it's on my brain at the moment, I've noticed that whenever I've done recipes that call for steeping any kind of grains (done chocolate, cara20, 40 & 60, and Special B), there's a relatively longer wait period until hot break starts to form. I've also noticed it takes the batch longer to come to a rolling boil as well...

I.E., my latest (an IIPA) took over 30 minutes to come back to a full boil after steeping, and hot break didn't happen until almost 1/2 way through the boil, whereas my earlier stuff would boil/break in 15-20 minutes at most. So, for curiosity's sake, is it something in the grains itself that causes it, or am I just over-analyzing a bit?

Why would it come BACK to a full boil? I would have added steeping grains as it was warming up and pulled out at 170F. This would all be on my way to a boil.

Is this a typo or do you add steeping grains to boiling water?

That's odd. I brew all-grain, and batches always break on the way up to boil - never AFTER hitting a boil.

With extract, I don't think you really are supposed to have that much of a hot break, because the DME/LME goes through that process at the manufacturer.

With extract, I don't think you really are supposed to have that much of a hot break, because the DME/LME goes through that process at the manufacturer.

I think that would be a reason for MORE hot break with steeping grains than without. I don't see why that should make it take longer to reach the break. Either way, hot break is relatively insignificant in volume compared to cold break during chilling.

Back