normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XELA

Reaction score
started a 5-6 gal batch of apfel wein on sunday, using cloudy applel juice dextrose and a tea spoon of wine yeast

is it normal for it to have not started fermenting yet?

theres also some crap on the top that might jus be yeast i spose

oh and i added abit more yeast this morning too
ew..

HPIM1700.jpg

I made EdWort's Apfelwein on Saturday afternoon (ok, SWMBO did), and it was going strong yesterday (Monday) morning.

i must have done something wrong

when should i expect to be seeing a bubble a second in the air lock?

its hard to maintain a temp of about 21c without a heat belt or anythin..
after adding the yeast earlyer, and it sitting for a couple of hours it now looks like this;

any better? the yeast seems to be slightly foamy

HPIM1704.jpg

Let it go for two more days and let us know what's happening then. Make sure all your seals are good and that there's water in the airlock. It looks good and cloudy. What type of juice did you use?

cloudy applejuice from liddle.. im pretty sure it didnt have preservetives, said 100% fruit content on it

tryin to keep it warm but it gets quite cold in the night and in the mornin when i cant keep it warm (using central heating and portable heater lol)

Looks like it's slowly starting to me. What wine yeast did you use?

brewmaker, express, wine yeast compound

it also says

ingredients: sygar, dried yeast, diammonium hydrogen orthophosphate

???

In the blue tub? It can get a little 'aged' and 'slow to ferment' if you've had an open tub a while.

i think iv only had it for a few weeks.. im gonna blame it on the cold weather for now and try to get a better method of keeping it the right temp

thanks people

you were all right! tiz goin faster now, still havnt seen a bubble tho

thanks yall!

HPIM1717.jpg

I'm a newbie to all this fermentin stuff.....but when my apfelstuff looked like that the airlock was making a merry little noise. I actually thought it was raining outside, cept the sun was shinin and the sky was a robin egg blue

lol, i woke up this mornin an there was a bubble every 3 seconds :D

One way you can help keep it a little warmer is to wrap it in a blanket. The yeast is hard at work and produces some heat of it's own. The blanket will help keep it in.

Back