Hop Pellets vs Hop Flowers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rksupreme

Reaction score
going to buy some cascade hops for up comming brew , but what is better pellets or the flower?
and does anyone know a good place to get an oak cask keg or something like it?

going to buy some cascade hops for up comming brew , but what is better pellets or the flower?
and does anyone know a good place to get an oak cask keg or something like it?

Everyone has their own preference on this subject.
Personally, I like pellets for no other reason than whole hops suck up too much of my precious wort like a sponge. (shakes fist at whole hops)

I prefer pellets because my system gets plugged up with whole hops, but it's really just a matter of preference, so me people have reasons as to why one is better over the other, but it really just comes down to which one you prefer.

Oak barrels can be found if you look around, but they typically take a lot of wort/beer to fill them. Instead of barrels, you can get oak chips, cubes, or spirals to put in the beer to mimic the barrel aging process.

Although I don't have an opinion either way, here is a nice little explanation in John Palmer's How to Brew: Hop Forms

He says pellets are hard to dry hop with, but I definitely prefer pellets over leaf when dry hopping, and I've never even seen hop plugs anywhere.

Hop pellets are easy to use and take up very little space. I haven't heard anything that would make me want to switch to whole hops. Plus I think they look disgusting sitting in the beer.

He says pellets are hard to dry hop with, but I definitely prefer pellets over leaf when dry hopping, and I've never even seen hop plugs anywhere.

Like I said, I have no opinion either way. I also only use pellet hops. I was simply providing the OP with a resource that IMO adequately explained the differences between the forms so the OP could make a more informed decision. As far as not finding plugs, they are still available in many places, particularly on the internet (Midwest Supplies is an example), but I agree that they are not nearly as popular and are being phased out by many suppliers- including Midwest.

20L barrel

30008130-1.jpg

I use both but prefer leaf (Plugs are just compressed leaf and act the same) It is personal preference; Leaf hops create less trub, and in my system help filter where pellet sludge clogs it. Taste wise they are the same.

Pellets for the boil, whole leaf for dry hop. That's my method of choice. I think putting the leaf right in the beer in the keg gets the best hop aroma possible. I love it.

Latest posts

Back