Trying my hand at a Cedrella Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjibbad

Reaction score
here is the recipe it's based off of chubby kids belgian tripel recipe. I changed out the hops for what I have one hand and subtracted the orange peal and changed the invert sugar to clear candi. I plan on adding the cedrella cubes in secondary. My big question is the yeast, I have not used either of these yeasts before, and I am curious of the flavors I will get with both and which one may benefit from their interactions from the cedrella. So I pose my question to the genius collective here at HBT, what yeast will give me the most traditional belgian ester profile yet maintain some nice spicyness to completment the cedrella. Also from the pros here, a sanity check on the recipe.

Crazy Cuban Monk

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: T-38 or S-33
Yeast Starter: 2 qt starter
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: ~1.075
Final Gravity: ~1.015
IBU: 25
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 5 SRM

11 lbs. Malt Eurup(65% of grain bill)
3 lbs. Vienna Malt (20% of grain bill)
2.5 lbs. Clear Candi Sugar (15% of grain bill)

2 oz. EKG 5% (60 min. boil, bittering)
0.25oz EKG 5 % (15 min. boil, flavor)
0.5 oz EKG 5% (flame out, aroma)

5 -1"x1" cubed cedrella (humidor Cedar)

Safebrew T-58 or S-33

Single Infusion Mash @ 150F for 75 min

I would warn you off of the S-33. I just used it and got terrible attenuation (70%) and the flavor is so so. After using it I went to another forum and found that others were just as dissapointed. If you're brewing a trippel you will want very high attenuation to achieve the dryness that is typical of the style. Good brewin'.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com
www.thebackyardbrewer.com

Finally kegged this beast and al I can say is WOW. The cedar nose is wonderful and the it has an upfront sweetness and finishes dry and bitter. Quite possibly one of the best I have done to date!!

Latest posts

Back