Oven Roasted Ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerjunky828

Reaction score
Has anyone ever roasted ribs for 8 hours. I was thinking of roasting 6 lbs of spare ribs at 250F for 8 hours. Too long? Is there even such a thing as cooking ribs too long in low heat?

Lower the heat to 175 for for six hours then raise temp to 250 for an hour then raise temp to 475 for 15-20 minutes.

Eastside

Definitely not too long. Most BBQ is "over-cooked" in that sense that you are surpassing all the standard temps (rare, medium, well) and applying heat until the connective tissues (collagen, gelatin, etc.) begin to melt. This is when you get "fork-tender" or "falls off the bone".

Too much dry heat will eventually render the ribs dry and toothy, but this takes a while. It's not a bad idea to braise the ribs first ie. in a lidded pan with some moisture or braising liquid (wine, beer, stock, etc.) then "finish" them on a hot grill or in the broiler.

If no liquid is involved consider a dry rub (paprika, garlic, cayenne, etc.) applied liberally and be sure to accommodate for drippings.

For an 8 hour roast you might also consider putting them in @325 for about 20 min to get the heat going then crank it down to 210-220 if your oven goes that low.

A lot of the pit pros smoke their ribs overnight or 12 hours+ at low temps so 8 hours @ 250 is definitely not too much. Good Luck!

Oven Roasted Ribs

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

ant self respecting BBQ afficianado will tell you Roasting ribs in the oven is not allowable, might as well parboil them suckers.

That being said, I have done it plenty of times myself :D;)

seriously, I do them just like on the BBQ, low and slow, 225-250. 6-7 hours for spares, 4-5 for baby backs. Mustard slather and rub, and then baste when 1/2 done and every 1/2 to 1 hour after that. Put them on a baking rack above a pan to catch the juices. Don't let them sit in thier own juice. or put them on the oven rack and a pan on the bottom rack.

Just rememver "fall off the bone" = burnt. Use the bend test to check for doneness.

Just my .02

yeah I plan to roast them in a makeshift dutch oven. and then lather them up in bbq sauce and throw them on the grill until charred. All while downing some homebrew of course!:ban::mug: I will post some pics!!!

In due time my friends,

brewjunky

i bake mine all the time,i mix up a good bine and let them soke over night
then around 8 am shake on a dry rub and pop them in the oven coverd at 200 till 3ish and then in the smoke till 6pm they turn out great and you dont ahve to baby sitt a smoker all day, do teh same thing with briskets but thay go in the oven around 2 am and skip the brine just dryrub the night before and let them sit till bake time.

i bake mine all the time,i mix up a good bine and let them soke over night
then around 8 am shake on a dry rub and pop them in the oven coverd at 200 till 3ish and then in the smoke till 6pm they turn out great and you dont ahve to baby sitt a smoker all day, do teh same thing with briskets but thay go in the oven around 2 am and skip the brine just dryrub the night before and let them sit till bake time.

Why smoke them after??? meat only takes on smoke at the beginning of the smoking process, then its just cooking. I can see grilling them to get a nice bark, buy smoke??

I guess I am as passionate about "real" BBQ as I am about "real" Beer.

Heres another favorit haunt of mine:

The Smoke Ring- All you need to know about barbecue

click on the forum link....

have you done it?
i can asure you in a proper smoker
the meat takes smoke just fine
"really" i promise

There's just times when you have to use an oven if you want ribs (and can't afford a ceramic cooker, ie. Big Green Egg). Alton Brown's oven rib recipe is pretty good. Even on a smoker, 8 hours for ribs is too long.

I rub my ribs, then wrap in foil, onto a cooling rack inside a sheet pan and 325* for three hours. Fall off the bone good! Or I did 275 for 8 hours, but it was overkill. Same thing for more than twice the time.

you could probably adapt the 3-2-1 method a lot guys use in the smoker.

3 hours on the rack, 2 hours in foil with some apple juice or other liquid (I used to rub them with butter and brown sugar) and one more hour back out of the foil to set up the rub and glaze the last 20 minutes or so.

These time are approximates, and for use in the 225 range. You still need to check the ribs to determine where they are at in the process. For example, you may find that certain racks will be too done if you leave them in the foil for that long.

I agree with falling off the bone being overdone.

One way to get them uber-tender but still have enough texture to stay on the bone is to do the pre-cooking...then refrigerate the ribs...then finish on the grill. The collagen breaks down to gelatin during the slow-cooking and can be a bit mushy. But if you refrigerate them...the gelatin 'sets' and it takes MORE heat to get it all mushy again, than it took to get them mushy to begin with. So they're still 'fork tender' but retain the ability to stick to the bone.

If I am to put them in the oven should i do like 1/4 cup of water in the bottom of the pan then put the foil wrapped ribs on the pan for moisture?

Not that anyone cares about my opinion, but I agree that 8 hours in the oven is too long. I do a few racks at a time on my smoker with a dry rub only (except to periodically spritz with apple juice) and they are done after 5 or 6 hours. No mop, no sauce, no aluminum foil - just spicy, smokey, juicy, pork goodness. While good ribs can be cooked in an oven, in my opinion there is no need to cook them for hours (in an oven or on a pit) if you are going to drown the flavor with some sweet sauce. And before everyone starts yelling, I know lots of people like ribs with sauce.

Back