How to clean crud off a propane burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The burner that I have is going to become my HLT burner on my 3-tier. It has an abundance of caked on charred wort from boilovers, and since I have it taken apart and it isn't likely to get any more nasty stuff on it again, I figured I should take this opportunity to clean it. So far my best plan is just a steel brush and dish soap. Anyone have any tips for how to get this stuff off, maybe something to soak it in?

considering most propane burners are cast iron soaking would not be a good idea. Mine is rusty just from neglect. Rust bad. Seriously impacts performance. Wire brush and if you clean it with anything liquid involving water dry it WELL when you are done involving heat would be good. Perhaps even coat it with a bit of vegetable or mineral oil in the end while it is hot.

I had this problem with my SQ-14 (which is painted black). I used Bar Keepers Friend and a Scotch-Brite pad and that worked well. To prevent rust, the burner stand could be painted (or repainted) with heat-resistant paint (like for grills).

Latest posts

Back