67.5% ABV beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, those crazy Scots, what will they think of next?

I suppose 69.2% ABV, after the Germans re-take the crown with a 68.7% ABV eisbock.

Only $80 US plus shipping from the UK for a 275ml bottle. Why not just mix a rauchbier with some grain alcohol?

Or someone has figured out a way to brew jet fuel! I love the Scots.
-Ritalin

Go to their "About Us" tab and read their 5 Reasons to Drink Brewmeister. Number 4 is amusing:

4. There are no chemicals in our beer...none at all!

It's a feat in and of itself reaching 67.5% ethanol, let alone in a chemical-free beer.

Go to their "About Us" tab and read their 5 Reasons to Drink Brewmeister. Number 4 is amusing:

4. There are no chemicals in our beer...none at all!

What a strange thing to say. Who would assume there would be harmful chemicals in beer anymore? So they don't use, say, brewing salts or yeast nutrients? I'm sure a lot of breweries don't, but it just strikes me as odd to claim this as a special feature of your beer.

Just like the Utopias it is not going to be an enjoyable experience for the beer drinker . Ridiculous .

Seems like a joke to me. It is not possible to have *no* chemicals in any substance.

I'm sure they have some line explaining away the "naturally occurring" chemicals in the beer, or something like that, but I think you're right. It's pretty silly.

I heard there is a ton of dihydrogenmonoxide in beer, should I be worried?

;-)

I hear it's deadly in large quantities. Some people are allergic to it, too. One crazy dude I know tried huffing it, breathed in too much, and died. Better stay away from that stuff.

:p

No such thing as freeze distillation. There's is a thing called jacking which is freeze concentration though as well as distillation. They aren't the same though.

Whatever you call it, the result is essentially the same which means the product describe isn't beer at all. It's liquor, assuming they did in fact use freeze concentration to get their ABV that high.

I do realize that someone will probably come in and mention that eisbocks are made the same way only for much lower alcohol concentrations. To that I would respond that while technically correct, if a "beer" has a higher alcohol concentration than most distilled spirits it then qualifies as a liquor. Just for reference, 100 proof liquor is ~57.14% ABV which, obviously, is way below the 67.5% ABV in this "beer."

Iv never understood why some people think that a higher Abv equals a better beer. If that was the case ever clear would be delicious. Just one mans opinion though

I don't think anyone holds this true without an endpoint. There is a commonly held feeling that higher alcohol beers are special treats for special occasions, and this is reflected in brewing practice and historical beer culture. That's not to say that lower ABV beers are somehow therefore less. They're just more, common, perhaps.

Seems like a joke to me. It is not possible to have *no* chemicals in any substance.

Yes, that's why I thought it was amusing.

The hope is that it was a joke, but for some reason I don't think it is, as they also state on their home page that they don't add any chemicals to their beer. There are a lot of people who simply connect the word "chemicals" with "harmful additives", and its slightly painful to hear, especially from a brewer. I would say that its more proof that we're falling farther behind in science, but they're Scottish, so no worries.

Latest posts

Back