Got a hose infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
I inadvertently left a hose sitting in a kettle of water outside by mistake.....there was some mold and yellow discoloring on the inside.....

I brought it in the house and put it in some very hot water with some dish soap, I know that's not the final cleaning but the dishsoap should loosen the crap so I can get it out.....

I was going to toss it in some brewers wash next and then run some idophor through the hose for sanitizing purposes...

Any objections to this or should I consider tossing it?

I inadvertently left a hose sitting in a kettle of water outside by mistake.....there was some mold and yellow discoloring on the inside.....

I brought it in the house and put it in some very hot water with some dish soap, I know that's not the final cleaning but the dishsoap should loosen the crap so I can get it out.....

I was going to toss it in some brewers wash next and then run some idophor through the hose for sanitizing purposes...

Any objections to this or should I consider tossing it?

I'd get a new hose, those things are what... $2 or so? go to a pet store or supply store and get some clear plastic hosing.

I agree. It is always better to be safe than sorry. A $2 hose vs. possibly losing an entire batch of beer, I'll take a new hose any day of the week.

What type of hose are we talking here? If its a silicone hose used for hot wort transfers, keep it (any bacteria will be killed by running boiling water through it). If its just a vinyl tubing used for racking and such, yes toss it and buy new, thats cheap.

Back