Are stouts worth brewing if you dont have nitro?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
Want to brew a chocolate stout, however, I fear that since I do not have nitro it won't be as good. What do y'all think? I love Rogues Chocolate Stout, I am thinking about doing it as my first all grain batch.... Am I crazy to attempt that as a first all grain batch?

Sure, they sell plenty in bottles that are great. You just won't get the same creamy head and cascade of bubbles. The beer will still taste good.

I'm a big stout fan, and yes stouts are always better on nitro in my opinion but they're still worth doing with co2. If you want some similar mouthfeel with co2 I would recommend adding 8oz of malto-dextrine at the end of the boil. Also, get a stout tap.

Stouts are great even without the nitro effect.

The Deception Cream Stout recipe on here is outstanding and it was bottle conditioned. Just go light on the carbination and you should be good.

I have a Beamish type stout in the ferm right now, waiting for keg space, so I would have to say YES!

Yes. Hell yes.

IMG_0188.jpg

Absolutely....would it be nice to have it on nitro sure, but it isn't a deal breaker.

Stouts are great even without the nitro effect.

The Deception Cream Stout recipe on here is outstanding and it was bottle conditioned. Just go light on the carbination and you should be good.

I'm on my second keg of deception cream stout on co2 and it's awesome. Surprising how much my friends who don't normally drink dark beers love it too.

Want to brew a chocolate stout, however, I fear that since I do not have nitro it won't be as good. What do y'all think? I love Rogues Chocolate Stout, I am thinking about doing it as my first all grain batch.... Am I crazy to attempt that as a first all grain batch?

Having recently brewed a Rogue CS clone.... definitely. :D

Ten years and still no nitro, but I brew many stouts. Nitro adds a bit, but it's frosting on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

Nitro is good for mouthfeel, but I find it softens the intensity of the flavors. So in summary, yes it's still definitely worth brewing a stout without nitro.

I use 25-30% flaked barley in all my stouts. It gives a delicious, creamy head without fail. Not quite as nice as nitro, but oh so close, and I've saved $200 on the nitro setup.
Since it sounds like you're new to AG; if you see flaked grain in the bill above 20%, get yourself some rice hulls. :)
Well, unless you're doing BIAB.
Good luck!

I for one have found that I'm kind of not a fan of the mouthfeel that nitro provides. I can't really put my finger on my, I just find I don't really dig it. Give me a stout on CO2 any day.

Can you share the recipe or tips?

I don't have the recipe handy but it was the austin homebrew kit. One thing of note is that it used 2 oz of belgian (I think) cocoa powder, while I believe the real deal uses a liquid chocolate extract. Haven't done a side by side to test accuracy, but its quite tasty.

I'm a huge stout fan along with my wife, so when I suggested a Nitro pour she asked how soon til we get it. I ordered a tank and reg from Beverage Elements, a faucet form Beverage Factory for under $200 I had everything delivered and the tank filled with the beer gas. Within a week we were pouring creamy pints.

Most Stouts are better without Nitro.

What the heck brother?

Seriously, is guinness the extent of your stout experience?

Get some Schlafly extra stout (out in limited supply right now) and tell me it needs nitro.

Are Boobs worth looking at when they are not fake.

The answer is Yes, I enjoy a stout Co2 or Nitro.

Seriously, is guinness the extent of your stout experience?

With all respect: No Sir. It is the one of few reference we have as newbies. None of which are our own. We are willing to listen so we can learn on our own.

You may learn that the basic characteristics of a stout (full body, thick mouthfeel) can be achieved with proper brewing techniques and PATIENCE. Temperature, time, and tendency can brew a consistently stellar high-FG stout. Dry stout is a bit easier.

If you need a reference for stout, I'd suggest Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Rogue Shakespeare Stout, or Avery Out of Bounds Stout. Dry stout can be a bit thin for my toungue. My idea of stout is a roasty, choco/coffee treat with thick mouthfeel and amazing head retention.

To those who argue the viability of Gunniess as a stout barometer: Oy, quit ye daft quarrelin' and make Nancies with each the other. Dry stout is dry stout. Enjoy ye Paddy's day.

Are Boobs worth looking at when they are not fake.

The answer is Yes, I enjoy a stout Co2 or Nitro.

THIS!!! But not how you meant it.;)

I can't stand fake boobs anymore, come to think of it, I can't stand guinness either anymore.

Holy hell. Real Boobs and a Real Stout. Sounds like a fun evening.

Agree about fake boobs. Not worth looking at.

Stouts are awesome without nitrous. In fact better I feel as it seems to suck flavor out of a good stout. If you want that mouth feel add malto dextrin and or lactose. I drink stouts all year long. Go for it.

....Well....this forum is for education.

God knows I have been shown that I am absolutely wrong a time or 2.

No......stout.......without nitro?????

Sorry. I don't understand how this could happen.

momobono I hate it when I look like an a hole. I'm sorry I was trying to quote someone on page 3 and debunk them. Please except my apologies?

Back