turning on/off heatsticks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer

Reaction score
I want to build a small box (with a cord going to an outlet) with some gfi protection that I can plug my 2000W heatstick into and maybe another heatstick or a pump. I basically want to be able to switch these on (one at a time) without having to plug or unplug anything. I was just going to get a box, put in a 20A gfi outlet in it and a basic light switch, but I am kind of thinking now that I should use some relays and switches that I'm seeing people use in thier big brewing panels. Can someone help me figure out what I need to buy, locally if possible, or any other Ideas for me?

Thanks

The purpose of a relay is to let your system be controlled by a microcontroller. If you just want to turn the lines on and off manually, there's no real reason to go the relay route.

Google "the electric brewery" if you need to see some pid controlled relays..

20 amp switches from the big box store are just fine for what you are doing.

Here are a few options for ya: First, just plug your heat sticks into a box with a switched outlet, like this:
f5222b7c.jpg

Or, if you want something more like a panel without a whole panel, you can do something like this. Mine basically controls a RIMS Tube, a pump, and a fan. Be warned, if you're like me, all of the switches and mini rims panel will prove a temporary step towards building a big panel.

Then again, I had to build these smaller items to learn enough to try and tackle something larger.

217468e1.jpg

Bought illuminated switches from The best way to buy industrial controls--low prices, fast shipping and superior service., as well as the litte black control box, which had a built in cutout for the PID.

Cheers!

Dgonza9,
I guess I can just do the switches like you did, but I would like to have some sort of indicator light showing that the heatstick is on. On the other hand, I do eventually want to get more automated, so I would like to get some practice by building a mini panel, sort of like you did.

Dgonza9,
I guess I can just do the switches like you did, but I would like to have some sort of indicator light showing that the heatstick is on.

why does it need to be a light? does a switch in the "on" position not indicate that the heatstick is on? although its still pretty simple to wire up an indicator light...

I guess it really doesn't need to be a light, but for one thing, its cooler, and the other, the switch will probably be about 5 feet from me, so a nice red light telling me its on might be helpful. Is there any local stores that I can get indicator from, or does it have to be online?

Thanks

You could use a porcelain keyless fixture on another box next to your switch and put any color lamp in it that you want.:)

There are switches that have an indicator light built in...

Yeah, I saw one at home depot, but wasn't able to find a 20 amp version, does anyone know where I can find one?

Dgonza9,
I guess I can just do the switches like you did, but I would like to have some sort of indicator light showing that the heatstick is on. On the other hand, I do eventually want to get more automated, so I would like to get some practice by building a mini panel, sort of like you did.

My switches are illuminated, so when on you can see the light. You can also get switches that you wire to a pilot light, I believe.

You should be able to find what you want at an electrical contractor supply house. I don't know where you are located but there will probably be a Graybar, Wesco, or Northcoast reasonably close by. They advertise that they only sell wholesale but it's not true they happily take cash.

Back