Need Help ASAP with grain roasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deantheking101

Reaction score
I have 1lb rye grains that have been ground up and are now soaking them in water. We want to roast/smoke them over some woodchips we have.

1. Should they have been ground?
2. Should we have soaked them?
3. How should we roast/smoke them over the wood?

Thank you

i have never heard of roasting wet grain, but then again i have never smoked grain either.

i have baked pale 2 row in order to make amber malt, and in that instance it is better to bake whole grain then crush it, but i don't have a mill therefore i always bake small amounts the crushed grain on BIG glass oven pans. it worked out well for me that way.

Roasting happens before grinding, usually. Milling the grains is pretty much the absolute last thing you do to them before you mash in.

You can use an old fashioned popcorn popper (westbend poppery 2) the kind that has a solid pan to roast the grain. Allot of people use them to roast green coffee. Just be sure to get a long handled wooden spoon and stir the hell out of the thing as you roast them. Another brand is a toastmaster. You can find them at thrift stores allot of times for only a couple of dollars. They get nice and hot upwards of 500 degrees! So be carefully and don't burn the grain! I have done this and it works well!

Back