Is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkonn63

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch a week ago, and the fermentation stopped/slowed, so I decided today I was gonna open the bucket and get a gravity reading. There was still some pressure on the lid, and when I went to pop it off, some of the water from the airlock poured over (its a three peice) and got into the brew. The water contained sanitizer, and I estimate only about a teaspoon got into my brew. I was using C-Brite, and I looked at the label and it said if swallowed to get medical attention immediately.

Should I pitch it and start over? Will it be ok?

Help! =(

I wish I had an answer to your question. I typically use vodka rather than water, just for that reason. I really have no idea though, but guarantee someone here will.

I believe most sanitizers and there ability to actually sanitize thus harm you is reduced over time.... plus if you look at the ratio of the cleaner to "water" i'm sure the amount that fell into your beer is VERY minimal.

I'm sure someone with more xp can comment here, but as far as the warnings on the label, Starsan suggest rinsing for 15 min upon skin contact which freaked my brew partner and I out. after some more reading it was in undiluted form. What you are reading could be the same but I would double check that since I dont use that specific brand.

Here's Rebel Brewer's info on C-Brite:

Chlorine based no-rinse sanitizer. Yeah, I know, it says rinse well on the side, and you are welcomed to. But it boils down
to packaging laws at the state level. Without getting into it (call me if you really want to know) suffice to say, you can drain
and air dry....or rinse, it's entirely up to you. Use 2 oz. per 2.5 gallons water to sanitize all fermenters, tubing etc.

It's fine. Don't worry about it. A lot of people pour their wort and beer directly onto a few ounces of star san. With C-brite, a teaspoon already diluted and left out for a week isn't going to do anything to your beer. You're good! Good luck and enjoy your homebrew!

no way in hell i'd dump it. i don't know anything about c brite, but i drank a shot of (diluted) starsan before and i came out ok. so you have maybe half an ounce in five gallons? yeah i'd drink that.

alright, awesome, thanks guys! I figured it wouldnt be a huge deal, but the warning label gave me a bit of a fright.

also, rycov, why the hell did you take a shot of starsan? LOL

kinda. it was actually an online "hold my beer" thing. some guys wife was buggin him about having starsan in the house because they had kids so i drank a bit and waited it out. i figured it couldn't be too bad in small amounts. it gets in our beer and all. i did get really drunk, but it could have been all the beers i had that day

Back