Mickeys Bottle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGT Brew

Reaction score
Hi everyone I was wondering if it would be alright to reuse mickey malt liquor bottles(The short green stumpie bottle with a screw on cap) to bottle my home brew? I have bottles on order in the mail and caps but they wont be here for a while becaue currently I am stationed at kadena air bas in okinawa, Japan. Well thanks for any help

i don't see why you couldn't use them, they twist on nice and tight. you'd just have to drink a LOT of mickeys to get enough for a full batch tho, and i don't know why you would want to do that ;)

Also, they're the green bottles, so keep them out of the light (as you should with any bottle, of course)

I have a bunch of cases of mickeys sitting in my cupboard froma friend who really doesnt know a thing about beer and thinks mickeys is number 1. Im going to empty them out and bottle my brew this sunday Ill keep you updated if everything works out great thanks for the advice.

It's no one's first choice, but if that's all you got...

Make a low hopped beer or a mild, something that won't take along time.

I wouldn't trust twist offs but some here do.

I have never used those types but have used the screw top bud light bottles. I use a colonna capper with the bud light bottles an I am finding that I am not having great success with these bottles and caps. Finding too many bottles when opened are flat. Will not be reusing these anymore.

Anyone have any feedback on using these bottles? I'd really like to hear about anyone's results.

I was just looking at them, and it seemed to me that they should be fine - pretty close to three full threads on the neck, and the cap has a decent amount of sealing material inside of it.

That, and I want to tempt fate by bottling my homebrew in a grenade shaped container!

mickeys.jpg

edit: dunno why that shows up at a link, not an image...

I'd be wary of the seal screw tops get. While you're at the beverage center make friends with a few of the workers. I've got a guy who knows me now and sets aside any swing top bottles for me. I walked in yesterday to a case of Grolsch bottles in the original packaging. Oversized 4pk cardboard and all. Cost me 24 x 5 cent deposit to buy them back. That brings my total over 75 Grolsch bottles at 5 cents a piece!

I'd love to find the Grolsch bottles but they are difficult to come by. What is the concern with the screw tops? Do they not give a proper seal?

Most people automatically think of bottles like bud uses when you say screw top, those are pretty bad for getting a good seal (or even capping w/o a bench capper).

The ones in the picture he is asking about look just fine as long as appropriate lids with the plastic sealers are used. It'll be about the same as using plastic soda bottles...only glass.

(Just noticed the necro, lol)

I have a bunch of cases of mickeys sitting in my cupboard froma friend who really doesnt know a thing about beer and thinks mickeys is number 1.

Ugh, I know so many of these people. Mainly high school drop-outs, punks, and skin heads. Very very stupid people.

Most people automatically think of bottles like bud uses when you say screw top, those are pretty bad for getting a good seal (or even capping w/o a bench capper).

The ones in the picture he is asking about look just fine as long as appropriate lids with the plastic sealers are used. It'll be about the same as using plastic soda bottles...only glass.

(Just noticed the necro, lol)

Tx for the opinion Nugu.

No, these bottles aren't like regular 'twist-off' bottles, they have threaded caps that actually screw on. When I found the bottle, I was interested because I prefer glass to PET, and there aren't a lot of cheap, disposable sources for glass bottles. I'm always looking for something I can bring to a friend's and not have to worry about making sure I track them all down to take home (like I do with my Grolsch and crown cap compatible bottles).

Lots of hate for Mickey's here. I will admit that I found this bottle on the side of a country road while going for a walk, meaning it was pitched out the window by some moron, but I remember drinking it a while back and didn't think it was that bad.

It keeps being referred to as malt liquor here (and on the label) but it's only 5.5%, really not that strong. I consider it the same as any other generic beer store brew.

Yea, those screw tops should work fine. I too was thinking of the twist off caps ala Bud or Coors. Those are tough to cap.

I have a bunch of cases of mickeys sitting in my cupboard froma friend who really doesnt know a thing about beer and thinks mickeys is number 1. Im going to empty them out and bottle my brew this sunday Ill keep you updated if everything works out great thanks for the advice.

Wait these are full? Crap beer or not, I'd hate to see beer go to wast. At least give it to your dog or something :D

Back