Can i use this for secondary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamteal

Reaction score
When i bought my brew equipment, the kit contained a glass carboy and a plastic "bottling bucket." The bottling bucket has a whole on the bottom where i put a spicket so i can fill bottles easier. Could i still use this bucket as a secondary fermenter, so i can free up my carboy for my next brew?

And what are the benefits of using a secondary fermenter? I know it can clear up your beer a bit, but other than that is it really worth it?

I don't use a secondary fermenter unless I am adding fruit or dry-hopping. I just leave the beer in the primary until it's ready to bottle. I have nice and clear beers.

NRS

Secondary if your brew is going to ferment for more then 5 weeks. Like stouts. Buy another bucket and use the bottling bucket for bottling. By alot of buckets. I have 1 plus 4 carboys. :)
I dry hop in the primary. Make it easy and fun.

Sure you can use that as a secondary if you wish but I rarely secondary myself unless dry hopping. Just bottled a Triple that was in primary for 6 weeks, tastes great so far. Buckets and spigots are cheap enough, I have them in 5, 6, and 7 gallon sizes. Obtain or make an inverse pickup for the inside and you're all set. Good luck.

I would not use the bottling bucket as a secondary unless you are going to rack the beer from it before bottling. When bottling you need to make sure the sugar solution is thoroughly mixed. If you did that in the bottling bucket that you had done a secondary in, then you would end up stirring up all of the yeast that had settled out.

Now that being said, one could still do this, and just live with the extra yeast. It will settle out relatively quickly in the bottle. One of the point of the secondary is aging away from the bulk of the yeast, which will be accomplished by this. Some folks prefer the flavors of beers aged on the the yeast, some prefer beer aged off of the bulk of the yeast If you don't mind that the beer might not be quite as clear, then it would be okay to do as you propose

I wouldnt use the bucket as a secondary, it'll have too much headspace. it's fine to use as a primary tho, I do it all the time. then of course, you'd need another bucket for bottling, so may as well just buy another.

"I would not use the bottling bucket as a secondary unless you are going to rack the beer from it before bottling." pjj2ba

That's a good point. I had just assumed that he would do so.

I did precisely that,used my bottling bucket as a secondary for my whiskely ale. racked my dark ale with amber DME onto bourbon soaked French oak chips. Beer is just fine,clearing to a pretty ruby/brown. Clear with no weird stuff in/on the bottles. Just make sure that if you do,siphon as little settled yeast into it as possible. Then,gently pour priming solution in as you stir while making no froth. That should do it.

I wouldnt use the bucket as a secondary, it'll have too much headspace. it's fine to use as a primary tho, I do it all the time. then of course, you'd need another bucket for bottling, so may as well just buy another.

this.

I had enough co2 coming out of solution to make the center peice of the airlock rise slightly. So I know the "large" head space was filled nicely. But I do 6G batches...

Back