where to get yeast without $7-8 shipping added?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backporchbrewery

Reaction score
Just need some yeast, and no LHBS within 100mi or so. Is there anywhere online that sells yeast without having to pay the $7-8 shipping charge? That'd make dry yeast around $10 and whitelabs around $14!

Just need some yeast, and no LHBS within 100mi or so. Is there anywhere online that sells yeast without having to pay the $7-8 shipping charge? That'd make dry yeast around $10 and whitelabs around $14!

You can create a yeast starter with the last ounce of a 22oz bottle-conditioned commercial beer like one from Rogue, Stone, or Sierra Nevada. Not only do you get a good yeast strain, but you get to drink the beer and keep the bottle.

You can get some dry ale yeast on EBay for about $4 including shipping.

cant really help with the OP but i can make a few suggestions.

you can grow your own yeast. pick a few of your favorites and order them online. also in the same order order a several pounds of DME. make separate starters for each of the yeast. set some aside from each batch and do the process again. keep doing this till you have more than enough yeast for your needs. when you get low grow some more.

Call around and see if a homebrew shop will put a pack of yeast in an envelope for you and drop it in the mail. Should cost $0.44 + the cost of the envelope.

RebelBrewer has $2.99 Super Saver Shipping if you're just getting something small like yeast.

Any brewpubs nearby? Take sanitized container with you, drink some beers and ask if they can spare some yeast. Many will glady give you some slurry - brewers unite!

You can create a yeast starter with the last ounce of a 22oz bottle-conditioned commercial beer like one from Rogue, Stone, or Sierra Nevada. Not only do you get a good yeast strain, but you get to drink the beer and keep the bottle.

Totally true, I do this all the time with Dark Horse's "Crooked Tree" In fact when the wife asks me why we have so much "Crooked Tree" in the house I say it's, "Because they are paying me to drink it!" (6 glass bottles call $6, one vial of liquid yeast call $8.00 $6+$8= $14- $9 <cost of 6 pack>= $5 net). The wife doesn't seem to believe me, but I haven't paid for Noddingham yeast (pretty sure thats what is in Crooked Tree) in the two years I've been able to drink/harvest it.

P.S. She calls the above equation "Brewer's Math", which is the same math that explains how all grain and all the equiptment I buy 'saves us money'.

Any brewpubs nearby? Take sanitized container with you, drink some beers and ask if they can spare some yeast. Many will glady give you some slurry - brewers unite!

You have never been to MS before have you?

Send me a PM I will sent you dry yeast for the cost of the yeast and a stamp.

I would have offered, but I do not have any spare packs of yeast around.

You likely have an infinite supply of yeast at your local beer store! Get some DME and make some starters, you can culture pretty much whatever you need for a commercial brew.

Rogue Shakespear Stout - pacman yeast
Chimay - WLP500 for belgians
redhook pale ale - good all around yeast for ales
boulavard wheat - yeast for wheat beers

Thanks for the info everyone, hadn't really thought of ebay.

It's a little harder down here in MS. No homebrew stores in this state that I know of, and it's almost impossible to find a place that actually sells good beer (never even seen a 22oz bottle around here; we've got it rough!)
Guess I'll be stocking up when I go to Ashville, ingredients AND a few mixed cases.

+1 on harvesting your yeast from liquid yeast you use. Wash your yeast cake and you can use it for many batches.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

Also, dry yeast lasts for a very, very long time in the fridge so I'd order multiple packs if you can. Shipping will be about the same on a dozen as it would be on one. Get a year's supply and it's a hell of a deal.

Back